This Is Too Funny A Thread.......

mrvette

Phantom of the Opera
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-tech-performance/2565157-coil-voltage.html

THIS has to go down as one of the BEST threads in the annals of ANY chat group....it simply has to be remembered,....

Mike, 69427 there is correct, and I had to go over the posts several times, reading closely while my eyes are streaming with tears of laughter....a tough job at my age, with glasses and all.....

I't all semantics.....

looked to ME as in fact they are all in agreement.....

but that's just ME......

:lol::lol::lol::stirpot:

:lol: Pretty funny alright. Mike W. hit the nail on the head though. Chest pounding and strutting over who had the bigger d*%k. It's just in us Engineers nature, what can I say? :suicide: Pole vaulting over mouse turds.:stirpot: I learned long ago that trying to argue with an engineer is very much like mud wrestling a pig. All you get is tired and muddy before you realize the pig likes it. Put two engineers in the pit and you really got a marathon. :harhar:

Bullshark
MS EE Advance precision guided weapon systems (40years). Ha ha. My d*^k's bigger than theirs. :harhar:

:lol: Pretty funny alright. Mike W. hit the nail on the head though. Chest pounding and strutting over who had the bigger d*%k. It's just in us Engineers nature, what can I say? :suicide: Pole vaulting over mouse turds.:stirpot: I learned long ago that trying to argue with an engineer is very much like mud wrestling a pig. All you get is tired and muddy before you realize the pig likes it. Put two engineers in the pit and you really got a marathon. :harhar:

Bullshark
MS EE Advance precision guided weapon systems (40years). Ha ha. My d*^k's bigger than theirs. :harhar:

Olde tyme prototype ET here, I know a little bit about coils, and EE's and PHD EE's and Chem E's...and Physics ists...

We all laughed our asses off over the lab discussions...it was the most FUN job I ever had....

:cool::lol::mobeer:

Bullshark, put your guided weapon away.....:harhar:
You know...I'm out of work right now, and dont plan on taking a job in the next year... and I dont have time to read through all of that.

I finally just had to give up on that thread. You can try to explain how stuff works, but some people just prefer to stick with their old wives tales. Apparently learning new stuff is just too uncomfortable for some folks. I've checked my PM box there, and so far none of the more vocal posters have tried to answer my quiz question.

I finally just had to give up on that thread. You can try to explain how stuff works, but some people just prefer to stick with their old wives tales. Apparently learning new stuff is just too uncomfortable for some folks. I've checked my PM box there, and so far none of the more vocal posters have tried to answer my quiz question.

Mike,
I believe that arguing with you about how ignition systems operate is just as foolish as arguing with Lars about Q-jets, or Jim Shea about Saginaw steering, or Geoff C about part #'s.
If they cannot answer the quiz, they are just blowing smoke.
"Those of us who really know are annoyed by those that think they know."

Well, I got two PMs on CF from a guy requesting help on the Team Camaro forum. He said he was outnumbered trying to get his ballast resistor/coil/ignition perspective across, and desperately wanted help. I was reluctant to do so, due to the sheer frustration I felt on CF while I was trying, as a professor I deeply respect says, "to push back the frontiers of ignorance". Well, I wrote a long winded description of things electrical and ignition, and so far it's gotten a lot of views, but minimal replies. I don't know if it's because the Camaro guys are just a bunch more polite than the CF guys, or if I just put everyone into a coma trying to read it.... We'll give it a bit more time, and see if any additional discussion materializes. I've got more material, but it seems non-productive to spend time typing it if I'm not sure anyone is seriously digesting it.

Hey Mike, it was all i could do to stay out of that discussion, I know you knew what you were talking about so I did, but I think it is hard to cover (describe) all the aspects of the function with words alone. A picture is worth a thousand words. I try to avoid electronic discussions without at least a schematic and some supporting signal illustrations or scope pictures. Makes communication so much easier, especially for those who may not be familiar with the details. I run into this all the time when we try to generate ICD's (Interface Control Document) with our suppliers, on complex electronic systems here at work. But, I'm sure you know this too! lol

Last edited:
The thing that is funny to ME, is that for some 50? years now, starting out as a ham radio operator, learning from the Marconi spark gap transmitter daze and going on from there, into the TV business in the vacuum tube daze even yet, then into SS Tv's any TV with a deflection yoke and a CRT display even old computer monitors....the trick is the HV necessary to run the tube is taken off via the collapse field of the HV transformer/tuner circuit at 15734 hz......trace and retrace....simple as hell, even the damper diode...no biggie....

then with the guys in pulse filed metal detectors, the industrial walk through variety....for starters, then even the things Mel Fisher used to find the treasure from the Atocha that 'lost spanish galleons fame find.....

it's a crazy back door sorta thing, pulse field signal analysis.....something not taught in the typical EE training courses....I bet....sure they tell about coil damping and ringing control....but typically NOT in a magnetically changing environment....

so when this discussion went down, I just sat there and laughed my ass off....in fact, I think it's a breakdown due to semantics, and wording, not much of anything else.....:clap::clap:

Mikes' verbiage is easier to unnersand though....

:eek::thumbs:

Hey Mike, it was all i could do to stay out of that discussion, I know you knew what you were talking about so I did, but I think it is hard to cover (describe) all the aspects of the function with words alone. A picture is worth a thousand words. I try to avoid electronic discussions without at least a schematic and some supporting signal illustrations or scope pictures. Makes communication so much easier, especially for those who may not be familiar with the details. I run into this all the time when we try to generate ICD's (Interface Control Document) with our suppliers, on complex electronic systems here at work. But, I'm sure you know this too! lol

I could not resist!

The thing that is funny to ME, is that for some 50? years now, starting out as a ham radio operator, learning from the Marconi spark gap transmitter daze and going on from there, into the TV business in the vacuum tube daze even yet, then into SS Tv's any TV with a deflection yoke and a CRT display even old computer monitors....the trick is the HV necessary to run the tube is taken off via the collapse field of the HV transformer/tuner circuit at 15734 hz......trace and retrace....simple as hell, even the damper diode...no biggie....

then with the guys in pulse filed metal detectors, the industrial walk through variety....for starters, then even the things Mel Fisher used to find the treasure from the Atocha that 'lost spanish galleons fame find.....

it's a crazy back door sorta thing, pulse field signal analysis.....something not taught in the typical EE training courses....I bet....sure they tell about coil damping and ringing control....but typically NOT in a magnetically changing environment....

so when this discussion went down, I just sat there and laughed my ass off....in fact, I think it's a breakdown due to semantics, and wording, not much of anything else.....:clap::clap:

I disagree, Gene. It's circuit theory disagreements.

I disagree, Gene. It's circuit theory disagreements.

YES, and I see your side completely, BUT, there was a phrase in there concerning the 'wire' now that allusion was to WHICH wire, the shunt from the starter? or the resistor wire from the IGN circuit?? and there is where the misunderstanding came in...

the way I read it anyway.....

then again I B rong B 4......:hissyfit::yahoo:

BUT that change to HEI on that camper, that you have the old points thing off.....that rabbit starts SO much easier, it's not even funny...and I know that shit WAS working good, for a points system....gimme HEI every time....night and day, just like my commitment to rack steering and HB brakes....

:p:p

Yep, one of the main reasons I have not logged into Corvette Forum in over three years now. You get more honey with a humble spirit I believe. I appreciate the help from you guys on this forum over the years, why reinvent the wheel when I can glean from your knowledge. Even though I too am an Engineer, Mechanical / Combustion, I have published designs in three magazines, 2 Patents, retired at 40, started a business for fun, and through my many years of higher education and experience I learned a couple of things. My wife is still smarter than me, and I do not know half of what I think I do. I do own a Fluke Multimeter and some wire cutters. Ha!

Thanks for reminding me why I do not go over there! LOL

:drink:

tt

Last edited:
Yep, one of the main reasons I have not logged into Corvette Forum in over three years now. You get more honey with a humble spirit I believe. I appreciate the help from you guys on this forum over the years, why reinvent the wheel when I can glean from your knowledge. Even though I too am an Engineer, Mechanical / Combustion, I have published designs in three magazines, 2 Patents, retired at 40, started a business for fun, and through my many years of higher education and experience I learned a couple of things. My wife is still smarter than me, and I do not know half of what I think I do. I do own a Fluke Multimeter and some wire cutters. Ha!

tt

I've found that this site is populated with talented, experienced (and emotionally mature) people. I've found it's easier to ask questions, or offer insights, on this site than any other.
I like the combustion experience/expertise. Please feel free to contribute any bits of info that you think would be of use, value, or just plain amusement to us. :thumbs:

tt

I 2 have a wife tschmardter than me, and I 2 own a Fluke and dykes....

hay, I can even solder a wire or 2.....jest don't ax me 2 do body werk.....

:tomato::cool:

but I 2 wood like to no how to blow shit up to.....

:rofl::rofl:

...... and I 2 own ..... dykes....

but I 2 wood like to no how to blow shit up to.....

:rofl::rofl:

Not as much as I would like to own a couple of dykes! :rofl::censored:

Wuntz lawng tyme ago I new some dykes....one of them wuz the ex wife of a buddy of mine....

When we gotta party together an the whole crowd met for crabs and beer on the back deck....it was a bit nervous between Fred, Ann, and faggy Maggie....

:ill::sick::drink: