My next project

BangkokDean

Bought this 53 GMC off the HAMB web board back in December. Should have it over here next month. It will be a long term project. The frame has a Camaro front clip and rear but I have not seen it yet. I will decide if I will use that frame once I get it here.The top chop I will finish here and I probably will suicide the doors. For a drive train I am thinking a turbo diesel out of a late model Isuzu???

Attachments

• gmc11.jpg
    gmc11.jpg
    311.5 KB · Views: 25
  • gmc8.jpg
    gmc8.jpg
    621.8 KB · Views: 14
Well I finally have the truck over here. First the chop job is junk so I will have to do a lot of replacing metal, plus make the rear window a little wider in order to see out the rear view mirror. Then I plan to switch to suicide doors after the top is fixed. Thinking about making the nose flip forward using a convertible top pump and cylinders.

For a motor I am thinking about gowning with a sbc with fuel injection, say a LS1 with auto trans. The reason is diesel fuel is costly and if I go with a gas fed motor I can go with a LPG/petrol motor.

Now my questions are?
1) how much will a LS1 complete motor, auto trans, with computer and wiring harness cost?
2) How will the computer/O2 censor work with LPG?
3) does anyone know where to buy a complete convertible top power unit that will lift the heavy steel GMC nose?

Finally does any one know this company in Peoria, AZ, and if they are legit?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Hi-P...tors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories#ht_659wt_958

Thanks
Dean

That's a sweet project! Always have been a GMC fan.

For a complete LS1 drop out (acc, engine harness, ECU, auto trans, engine, sensors, etc.) should set you back no more than $3k for a good package. Since you're going auto, it will save you a lot of beans.

The other questions...I got nothin'.

Good luck!

Well I finally have the truck over here. First the chop job is junk so I will have to do a lot of replacing metal, plus make the rear window a little wider in order to see out the rear view mirror. Then I plan to switch to suicide doors after the top is fixed. Thinking about making the nose flip forward using a convertible top pump and cylinders.

For a motor I am thinking about gowning with a sbc with fuel injection, say a LS1 with auto trans. The reason is diesel fuel is costly and if I go with a gas fed motor I can go with a LPG/petrol motor.

Now my questions are?
1) how much will a LS1 complete motor, auto trans, with computer and wiring harness cost?
2) How will the computer/O2 censor work with LPG?
3) does anyone know where to buy a complete convertible top power unit that will lift the heavy steel GMC nose?

Finally does any one know this company in Peoria, AZ, and if they are legit?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Hi-P...tors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories#ht_659wt_958

Thanks
Dean

Sweet project!

Regarding your intended purchase from the Az. engine builder, PLEASE reconsider.

Years back I did just that, bought a high perf. sbc engine off of ebay from an Az. engine builder with a 3 yr. unlimited mileage warranty. I had problems and the seller gave me the run around, would not return calls, was out of the office, etc. and would not honor the warranty. This was all documented about 5-6 yrs. ago on the C.F.

Spend a few extra bucks, buy from Summit, Jegs or GM Performance or some other REPUTABLE seller.

My problem was distance. Fighting a guy in Az. when I was in N.J. was difficult and time consuming. I now do business locally whenever possible.

Sorry for the rant. I wish you the best!

Methinks DV8 maybe have a point....maybe look for a Holden out of Australia, shipping gotta be 10% of what from here, same engine/tranny....MAY even be easier/cheeper to import....tarriffs/etc....

I had tons of bux, I'd love to upgrade my engine,.....LSx and fly.....:thumbs:

That's a sweet project! Always have been a GMC fan.

For a complete LS1 drop out (acc, engine harness, ECU, auto trans, engine, sensors, etc.) should set you back no more than $3k for a good package. Since you're going auto, it will save you a lot of beans.

The other questions...I got nothin'.

Good luck!

Thanks for all the replies.First my shipper is located in San Jose CA and they have ins with Thai customs so they are the shipper of choice, plus I have good experiences with this shipper.

Now where can I locate a LS1 as described for $3,000????? Preferable in California.

Well, ebay should have plenty of reputable salvage yards, but you will pay more. However, a lot of these salvage yards back up their stuff.
If you were local, I would just tell you to google salvage yards around your area and call them up. I called some 30 places and came up with a few hits. I wound up getting in contact with a place in jersey that had a fresh car that just came in. The price was right and they threw all the parts I needed/requested (minus the MAF) and things went smooth.
Now, you could do something similar. Pick a zip code andf google local salvage yards, but that would be a lot more work and you would need to find a place willing to ship. Not all are willing. Since you know a shipper in CA, they might be able to work with you and a salvage yard; either local or more national.