Spring Compressor- Any Interest?

Richard454

For those of you that have messed w/ the "free" tool loan at the local Auto Parts place-and then had to purchase the tool because you destroyed the chinese junk- This ones for you!!!

If you have ever tried to replace an original or Big block spring -you know the headache of the threaded spring compressor-won't compress enough and then the "fingers" get caught between the coils and impossible to remove....

I knew there had to be a better way- The "J-22944"

P1010251.jpg

P1010249.jpg

P1010250.jpg

After looking at it- Did a search and they were nowhere to be found.
Hence- the idea to make a "New and Improved" one-

P1010248.jpg

I whipped this up at my buddies machine shop w/ some scrape metal laying around.

I improved it by adding a fitting that'll go right in a standard floor jack-

P1010245.jpg

Here's what it'll look like in action-

P1010244.jpg

Any interest? I can make several more. Price? It's got to be a lot quicker than the threaded spring compressor.

Ideas to improve it? I'd put a cut heater hose over the A-Arm cross shaft to protect the paint/powdercoating..

Richard

I dont know, the threaded rod and couples of 1/4 in plate works pretty good.

I take the shock out, put the rod in, thick washer on top and plate thru the bottom of the spring and turn the top bolt to compress the spring until the lower control arm is loose.
cheap and safe
I've done that lots of times.

You paid for it after you broke it?! I usually return stuff if I break it within the first 30 days. I recently returned a half empty bottle of glue because it didn't stick to what it claimed to.

You're the customer, if you're not satisfied, Autozone doesn't get paid. :smash:

Thanks Twin Turbo!!! Imitation is the highest form of flattery!!!

Micheal- removing the spring is easy compared to putting back in. I was looking for a tool that would let me reinstall my LONG original BB springs and the treaded rod just would not cut it.

enkeivette- It was like the second tool I destroyed-and these guys really helped me out when I was working on my Wife's BMW by letting me use their OBDII reader....

The tool also works on my "racing" jack-Just had to remove a couple of pins.
AlumJack.jpg

Good job - I like it :thumbs:

Hence- the idea to make a "New and Improved" one-

So is it new or improved? If it's "new" it didn't exist before so how can it be "improved" ?? If it's "improved" it must have existed before, therefore it can't be "new" ...

:confused::bonkers::D:D:confused2:

Nice work.

I've never had a problem with the spring compressor tool. I added a steel pipe to it it make it easier to work the bolt. Just keep the bolt centered in the spring. I keep the threads greased. I worried at first that the pipe would collapse, but it appears strong enough. Works well for me.

IMG_1333.jpg

I dont know, the threaded rod and couples of 1/4 in plate works pretty good.

I take the shock out, put the rod in, thick washer on top and plate thru the bottom of the spring and turn the top bolt to compress the spring until the lower control arm is loose.
cheap and safe
I've done that lots of times.

That was what I used. Took the spring out no problem. The actural compressor is questionable without it.

I use the threaded rod as well only I use Acme thread and nuts, like a sissor jack uses. McMaster Carr sells them, about $30 for all. Better loading then 60* V threaded rod.

Nice work....thanks for sharing! :1st:

You can protect the cross shaft with a piece of plastic, like from a milk carton or something. It is thin enough to not have to enlarge the notch you have made for the shaft.

Last edited: