Air compressor tank drain valve question.

The Artist formerly known as Turbo84
Clinging to my guns and religion in KCMO.
Lately the water drain valve on my air tank has been leaking. Tightening it (within reason) doesn't stop the air leak. Are these drain valves generic enough to find at most hardware stores, or am I going to be stuck ordering one somewhere?

Thanks for any info.

A plumbing ball valve works nicely or even a radiator drain petcock; Just npt threads.
Nice to have it go outside with pvc or even hose.

A plumbing ball valve works nicely or even a radiator drain petcock; Just npt threads.
Nice to have it go outside with pvc or even hose.

That's what I did. Ball valve, plumbed to outside. I drain it weekly or so.

use what they put on semi's, I'm not sure what kind of valve it is but you just pull a cable and it drains the air tanks.

use what they put on semi's, I'm not sure what kind of valve it is but you just pull a cable and it drains the air tanks.

I dunno that a large truck wants to drain the air tanks, really,....I think there is a overpressure valve...maybe...but that swoosch you hear is the air pressure releasing from the hold off canisters...that allows the springs to activate the S cam drums....that is the way I remember it from training, anyway...

:confused2:

I dunno that a large truck wants to drain the air tanks, really,....I think there is a overpressure valve...maybe...but that swoosch you hear is the air pressure releasing from the hold off canisters...that allows the springs to activate the S cam drums....that is the way I remember it from training, anyway...

:confused2:

LOL ..... your supposed to drain the air tanks daily! That swooosch you hear is only the relief valve that protects the system from exceeding a set pressure. But all truck air tanks have this drain valve in the event of an air dryer failure they can manually be drained but either way your supposed to check them daily.

drainvalve.jpg

the low spot drain under the tank ? Mine leaked as well.... went to Home Depot and got a $5 ball valve... works great :thumbs:

I have a hose with a blow valve connected to mine.

That's what I did. Ball valve, plumbed to outside. I drain it weekly or so.

By using the blow gun my tank stays pretty much dry because of the constant blowing off of parts.
I started using this method first down here in the Florida state park shop,no one wanted to take the time to drain the compressor and when I would return the following year the compressor would have several gallons of water in it. :eek: After attaching the hose and blow gun the guys use it on a daily basis to blow off the chain saws and the compressor stays drained.