sound deadening material removal in a 90

JeffP1167

This will sound like a dumb question. Sorry I have never used this stuff before, anyways I bought a madvette sound deadening kit kit for my car. So would I remove all the factory material or just lay this stuff over the factory stuff. It was originally bought for a 1989 vette so I am unsure if it will work with my 1990 console since there appears to be a large isulation blanket that covers the tunnel under the console.

Should I just leave that tunnel insulation in place, it's really not in all that bad of shape anyways.

Did your new carpeting come with the jute backing?

I bought the massback carpet kit. I also have a madvette foil type sound deadening kit.

Massback looks like pretty sturdy stuff. So the foil goes on the floor, then the padding and then the carpet?

Just did mine that way. I left the insulation on the trans tunnel as it was in good shape. The jute was attached to the carpet.

Originally most of the car is covered in this just padding. I want a nice smell in the car and added heat and sound deadening. So thought I would lay the foil stuff on the floor first then cover it with the jute padding. The foil sound deadening stuff is maybe a 1/8" thick at the very most. So I doubt the carpet will show signs off this added under the jute padding.

I am not sure what you mean by jute padding attached to your carpet! Or do you think that is considered massback carpet? My6 massback kit is covered by a semi clear almost rubber texture coating. There is no jute padding attached to my carpet and the carpet that came out of my 90 has this exact same backing. I think I paid about 450.00 for my carpet kit from willcox vette parts.

They list two kit one the massback and another with jute backing.

I also found this site that sells stuff that looks like what my floor is covered with.

http://www.stockinteriors.com/jute.asp?Itemid=4794

Here you can see the jut padding in my 90 so it was never glued to the carpet.

carpetremoved3.jpg

Well I ordered 3 yards of this stuff from this company. That will be 3 sections 3'L x6'W That should be more than enough to do the whole car done. I am also looking into that heavy padding that covers the firewall beging the dash.

My carpet has the thin backing. The jute was attached to the carpet. I put the heat barrier in as well. Same thickness as yours. Does make a difference for both heat/sound.

Looks like the 90 massback is a lot sturdier that what I have in my 70. And with the padding and heat/sound insulation, you should be good to go.

The only issue that I had was "carpet penalty". With the new fluffed up padding/carpet and the barrier, my gas pedal did not go far enough to the floor to get the secondary blades to WOT.

here is the heat barrier kit I bought for the car. Came from madvette, seems to be very good quality and precut.

0101101357a.jpg

0101101357.jpg

The jute stuff I have seen is usually just on the firewall. The only thing you should watch out for is building up too much thickness under the carpet in places like the footwells. It will keep the carpet from laying down into the well.