Richmond-- 5 speed overdrive

BRUTAL64

Neanderthal
Looking in Jegs selling for $3200.00 with either a 3.33 or 2.89 first.
Overdrive is .77 and they claim 600ft lbs of tq. So that puts it in TKO6 range.

They also say a bolt in.

Any have useful info on this?

Last edited:
I dunno man, the only reason to switch would be the overdrive, and for a 23% reduction I would want another choice for that 3 grand+ price.....

which is why I did a automatic in place of my Muncie, years ago...for less than 1/2 that figger on the 700 I used at first....I have only 500 bux into this 200 4r in there now....and sold the 700 for 250, so net cost was 250 bux....not so awful evil for some 13 years now....

:thumbs:

Last edited:
I've got the Richmond 6 speed, same case as the 5 speed OD. You can get dozens of different ratios for all the gears. With my 3.08 rear end the 3.27 first and 0.76 OD worked great. Pretty much all the others have 0.64-0.5 6th. Too much to be useful with a 3.08.
The trans works with the Muncie bell housing, z bar link, etc. and is pretty close to a bolt in. It will be an easier install with a removable crossmember but I put mine in with a non-removable one.
Really, the only mod is that the trans (using a standard rubber mount) intereferes with the crossmember. It's about 1/2" too high. Solution...mod your crossmember, or I simply made a lower profile rubber mount. My build thread is in the projects section. Btw, I spoke with a lot of people putting A LOT more than 450hp through them without problems.
Oh yeah, sdparts had the best price and cheapest shipping.
http://sdparts.com/details/richmond-gear/rg7021626aa

Last edited:
I have a Richmond 5-speed, with the 1:1 5th gear. I only have 555 rwhp....but have not broken it......yet.

With 3.55s the Richmond ratios looked good. Going to need a new trans in the near future. The ole wide ratio Muncie I build in 85 is starting to make the noises that are letting you know that is is getting to the end.
Here are my thoughts;

I can build another wide ratio Muncie
Buy a Super Case WIDE ratio rock crusher new- about $1,900
Go with one of the overdrives and fit it in

McLeod is local for me. George isn't there anymore. But, I'll still talk to them about their new trans.

Thanks guys for the input.:bounce:

What I don't get is why anyone would want sloppy external shift rods? Why not get an internal rail shifter tranny??

What I don't get is why anyone would want sloppy external shift rods? Why not get an internal rail shifter tranny??

I bet you my external rail Richmond is tight as anything out there. The tolerances on the Long shifter are much tighter than a Hurst Comp. Plus shifter. It also accepts fast shifting much better than a TKO.

The Long shifter is a work of art compared to the old Muncie. No complaints here.
Besides, Richmond was the only trans builder that supplys that range of ratios "off the shelf".

Last edited:
The Long shifter is a work of art compared to the old Muncie. No complaints here.
Besides, Richmond was the only trans builder that supplys that range of ratios "off the shelf".

So is the Richmond 5 speed OD a good trans? Does it fit in a C2 with out problems? Drive shaft need to be cut?

Thanks guys:friends:

I forget what in hell a solid axle vette had for a 4 speed, but a ages old friend could terrorize Batman with a ride through the park with HIM shifting that thing...he could hit all 99 gears in about 3 seconds flat....sloppy linkage and all...

it's not the ONLY thing he was crazy about....

:harhar:

The 5 speed is the same case as the 6 speed. I have not heard anything bad about it. No need to cut the drive shaft, although you may need to shorten the output yoke. Richmond says the standard one could bind on the speedo gear, but mine did not. All you need is an adapter U joint 1330 to 1310, if I remember correctly, about $20 at Napa.
Oh yeah, If you get an OEM Hurst shifter lever, it bolts to the Long shifter mechanism and looks like the Muncie 4 speed handle. And they make a shifter decal just for the C3 vette.
With a 3.55 rear, you might want to go with a lower OD ratio. With 3.08 and 0.76OD, I'm just under 2000rpm at hiway speed.
DSCN0008.jpg

So is the Richmond 5 speed OD a good trans? Does it fit in a C2 with out problems? Drive shaft need to be cut?

Last edited:
The 5 speed is the same case as the 6 speed. I have not heard anything bad about it. No need to cut the drive shaft, although you may need to shorten the output yoke. Richmond says the standard one could bind on the speedo gear, but mine did not. All you need is an adapter U joint 1330 to 1310, if I remember correctly, about $20 at Napa.
Oh yeah, If you get an OEM Hurst shifter lever, it bolts to the Long shifter mechanism and looks like the Muncie 4 speed handle. And they make a shifter decal just for the C3 vette.
With a 3.55 rear, you might want to go with a lower OD ratio. With 3.08 and 0.76OD, I'm just under 2000rpm at hiway speed.
DSCN0008.jpg

Thanks, for the info. It looks like I'll start working in the next couple of months......................wait for it......................building old style VW air cooled engines----custom builds. :D