How do you remove the steering column jacket?

enkeivette

I've got the dash out and the steering wheel off. I don't get it. Getting frustrated. I took off a big nut on the steering wheel... hub? (I want to call it) and now I can't see how to get it off. There are screws on the back of it, am I supposed to get those off somehow???

You have the wheel off, then you pull the horn assemmly and the star screw for the telescopic adjustment? The shaft where that threads in is indeed equipped with a not that holds the actual hub with the contact spring for the horn and all.

The nut can be removed after removing the safety clip and simply undo it. To pull the hub off the splines you need to buy/borrow/rent/fab a puller. it's easily made yourself. There are 2 threaded holes in the hub that you can use and then use a large bolt to press against the shaft. Make sure the bolt is oversized so it does not dig into the threads for the star screw adjuster for the telescopic lock ring.

The bolts in the hub are 5/16 USS thread (18?) as is the star screw for the tele lock. Get a short 5/16 bolt to put in the end of the shaft- that'll make sure you don't hurt the threads there. Maybe an allen head bolt so it's small enough the hub will pull over it.

If you borrow one at AZ or someplace like that, it should have a taper on the end so it centers itself and can't get into the threads.

I've got the dash out and the steering wheel off. I don't get it. Getting frustrated. I took off a big nut on the steering wheel... hub? (I want to call it) and now I can't see how to get it off. There are screws on the back of it, am I supposed to get those off somehow???

I have the lock plate tool here.

I have the lock plate tool here.

I hope so, because I've already decided this is a job for Bird.

I'm changing my interior color from blue to black. And I was creating too many side jobs for myself, I was never going to finish the car over my spring break. So I just painted the column in the car, leaving the broken dimmer switch in there.

I'll bring it over when I have more time and money.

Spring break was originally supposed to be for fixing my boat. :surrender:

U got 2 many toys for a college kid.....

presumable you have a few more....and we demand pictures......:clap::nuts:

U got 2 many toys for a college kid.....

presumable you have a few more....and we demand pictures......:clap::nuts:

Seriously, I sold my dirtbike a few years ago and my jet skiis this year. Funny thing is, I'm broke as shit. I just luck out and score deals on everything. I bought my dirtbike for like $350 with a 420cc motor.

I won't tell you what I paid for the boat, because I intend to sell it for at least 5 times that amount after I paint it. But I will tell you you'd never believe me.

I also have a Neon, but I suspect you won't want pics of that.

Last edited: