82 corvette lowering suspension

rzkas

Hi? i need detail information on how to lower a 82 corvette. i have purchase new kyb gr-2 shocks and a 8" bolt.

i need detail instructions on how to take out the front coil/spring and how many coil should i cut off and how i should go about to take out the old rear bolt and put in the new 8" bolt.

complete instructions and picture will be a great help to me. thanks

my email is [email protected]

Get the C4 rear bolts. They're longer and allow for further lowering. BTW, they are just 1/2" UNF bolts, you can get any length desired from sources like McMaster.

For the front you need to cut the coils. Easiest way is to jack up the car on on front corner, put a stand under the frame. Remove the wheel and jack under the lower control arm so the weight is on that side and the spring collapsed. Loosen or remove the sway bar links and then remove the castle nut from the top balljoint and with a BJ splitter separate the BJ from the spindle. Pull the spindle away and carefully lower the jack to release the spring. Might want to wrap a chain around the arm and spring beforehand it keep it from jumping out. Once the lower arm is hanging down carefully push it further to release the spring and pull the spring out. Cut half a coil and install again. If needed cut more than half a coil.

if i cut half coil how much space will be btw the tire and fender? i want my fender to be or almost be on top the tire. so can the 8" bolt lower the rear to the top of the tire or not.

I don't know, it's kind of trial and error, depends on original spring rate, tire size, how much the springs have sagged over time...it differs per car. I don't think the 8" bolts will do it, you'll need the longer ones

http://www.ecklers.com/product.asp?pf_id=22663&dept_id=1822

The price is kind of ridiculous for two 1/2"UNF bolts and locking nut. I think they are 12" long but I could be wrong.

if i cut half coil how much space will be btw the tire and fender? i want my fender to be or almost be on top the tire. so can the 8" bolt lower the rear to the top of the tire or not.

You can get pretty close by measuring the height of the spring with thew weight of the car on it and then measuring the length of the spring after you take it out. Lets say the compressed height is 10" and the free height is 20". If you would like to lower the car 1", you will need to cut the free length to 18" (9" compressed). It's not foolproof but it will get you close.

Aftermarket springs from f.e. VBP are the better choice IMO.... the 550lbs coil spring lower the car and still fit the spring pocket correctly. If you cut the stock spring it can result in some noise .. especially clunking noise when hitting a pothole...

The last coil of a spring is supposed to be "flat" (I'll see if I can find a pic)

the 550lbs springs are under $100 shipped...

Last edited: