C5 master cylinder help

Fuelie74

I have seen posts referring to using the C5 master cylinder for manual brakes because it has a 1 inch bore. So what are people doing about the reservoir being to tall?
031310006.jpg

You can't use it for manual brakes, not because of the bore size but because of the piston pushrod depth. The pushrod will fall out. Dedicated manual brake MCs have a deep piston that keeps the rod from falling out. With power brakes you don't have that issue as the rod is suspended in the booster diaphragm. Those MCs have a shallow hole.

Well that makes sense. Guess I will be reselling my C5 master and running a cast M/C. Thanks

You can't use it for manual brakes, not because of the bore size but because of the piston pushrod depth. The pushrod will fall out. Dedicated manual brake MCs have a deep piston that keeps the rod from falling out. With power brakes you don't have that issue as the rod is suspended in the booster diaphragm. Those MCs have a shallow hole.

I dunno about manual brakes, as I have fought power brakes both ways on this, the '72 has a deep hole brake piston, and a long shaft from the booster that was adjustable...it was cut off for the later truck m/cyl, same as a later shark setup....or a HB setup...

on my silly camper, the larger diameter truck m/cyl I put in there was the deep socket hole in the piston...so I cut off a bolt and shoved it home for the booster that was on there....

both worked fine....I don't understand the dicking around with it, why the changes?? for a boosted system, it makes NO sense...I can maybe understand with a manual brake, that you need that dick to not fall out of the female....

:eek::twitch: