Headlight fail

enkeivette

When I pull the turn signal lever to turn the brights on, all of the headlights turn off. Why?

Sounds like the switch is bad or outta adjustment, that rod actuator maybe off center on the switch?? and only partly actuating it.....

:smash:

Also I have seen both high beams bad and both high beam elements in the low beams burned out at the same time. Test light time !!!
Gene is most likely correct , bad dimmer switch.

I had the forward mount on my dimmer switch break off, this of course caused the dimmer switch to move out of whack and then nothing worked. Apparently the plug worked it's way out of the switch too.

Just to be clear, the headlights work. But when I pull the brights lever, they all go out.

Still sounds like the headlight/ dimmer switch?

Just to be clear, the headlights work. But when I pull the brights lever, they all go out.

Still sounds like the headlight/ dimmer switch?

I'm with Gene and with the new info it's about the only thing it can be.
The light blue coming from the headlight switch goes to the dimmer where the position of the dimmer sends the juice to the green OR the tan.
I have seen some dimmers that do this when you pull the lever back but when you release the lever the lights will come back on. Adjusting might help but the switch really shouldnt do that.

I had this happen on mine a few years back. Push the bright switch on the floor the brights come on and then all went out after a couple seconds. The connections on one of the headlights was hosed. Not sure if it was shorting or lost ground, but the connector and wires were corroded.

Dimmer switch is gone to dimmer switch heaven. It's possible that both bulbs died, but unlikely they died at the same time. same with the grounds.

Ok, got the new switch and it doesn't have the provisions for the vacuum lines... wtf?

Ok, got the new switch and it doesn't have the provisions for the vacuum lines... wtf?

HEADLIGHT swith is on the dash up top, the DIMMER is on the floor or steering column, totally separate device...if you have lights at all, it's probable not the headlight switch.....

:twitch::eek:

Dont you live near Jeff/B2B?? take it to him, done in a hour....

Damn, I destroyed the headlight switch removing it. Now I'm stuck with this new one I guess.

I assumed the dimmer switch was the same thing, since you spin the headlight switch knob and the lights dim... flowed logcially to me.

So... what's a dimmer switch? Where's it at in a 78?

Mine's under the floor under the carpet but that's a bubba mod. On the lower side of the steering column. Follow the rod from the turn signal lever and that's your switch...

Last edited:
enkei, the dimmer switch on your car is on the steering column. Pull the center cover under the steering column and it's there on the left side. Has a rod coming from the turn signal lever to it. The rod seats in a round "button" on the switch. Button is usually green or white.

Headlight switch is specific to Corvette only. No other GM car used vacuum to open the headlights.

Sucks that I destroyed my headlight switch for no reason, now I guess I'll have to actuate the vacuum with the override switch. Gay.

Sucks that I destroyed my headlight switch for no reason, now I guess I'll have to actuate the vacuum with the override switch. Gay.

If you look carefully at that switch, you see that vac part will unclip from the electrical part, I replaced the electrical part in my switch with no sweat, on my '72 I had to round off part of the ceramic on the dash dimmer to clearance something.....no sweat with a grindstone....and some care....

I have one here is you need it....

:smash:

I tried to pry it off, which is how I destroyed the switch. It didn't come off.

Does the switch you have, have the vacuum piece on it? Is it new?