Bosch wide band O2 sensors....

mrvette

Phantom of the Opera
The key element of those 3-400 buck wide band kits like the LM-1 they sell is the Bosch sensor...that unit has 5 wires, seemingly no matter what number it is....17014 is the number I interested in, it's the one used in the Innovate system for the above price....available off the famous ebay for 50 bux....

but it's 5 wire....I know the signal, and signal ground, that's two, the heater for two more, what is the 5th wire for??

and I suspect I can read the signal with my DVM as good as that super expensive reader Innovate sells.....

OR, am I missing a issue here??

I thinking that since IF I can find a cheep way to find out what is acually happening with any given engine, maybe I can find a way to lie to the computers and trick the system to run leaner....

and use it to 'tune' the Carter Qjet in the camper project....

:smash::smash::twitch:

Ground, Heater+, Heater- and 3 wires for the element. 1 for the sensor (narrow band zirconia element) 1 for the gas pump (ion oxygen pump) and one for a reference cell.

The real difference is the wideband has a "gas pump cell" (electro chemical cell) It's used to control the electrochemical cell output of the nernst cell in relation to the reference. The electronic gizmo controls the gas pump and the heater element.

To keep this output consant the gas pump has to be regulated and this is directly related to the O2 content in the exhaust. This is what gives it the wide operating range.

Read this:
http://www.megamanual.com/PWC/LSU4.htm

Ground, Heater+, Heater- and 3 wires for the element. 1 for the sensor (narrow band zirconia element) 1 for the gas pump (ion oxygen pump) and one for a reference cell.

The real difference is the wideband has a "gas pump cell" (electro chemical cell) It's used to control the electrochemical cell output of the nernst cell in relation to the reference. The electronic gizmo controls the gas pump and the heater element.

To keep this output consant the gas pump has to be regulated and this is directly related to the O2 content in the exhaust. This is what gives it the wide operating range.

Read this:
http://www.megamanual.com/PWC/LSU4.htm

OK, there is NO way in hell I can understand your link there, what I need is a practical method of hooking it up to give me a measure of the burn ratio...

I"m thinking I want to run nearer to 16-1 instead of 15-1 if easily possible...

and for tuning on the Qj....so what do I have to do?? that 'pump' wire...I suppose it goes to +12?? or to some signal that is dependent on what??

:crutches:

Here is a interesting gizmo....but kinda on the high side considering a 50 buck sensor, really now.....http://www.compperformancegroupstor...ct_Code=170634&Category_Code=AnalogAFGaugeKit

Last edited:
the bottom line is that you can't do it with a dvm.

The sensor needs a controller not just a meter.

In not too technical terms, the wideband output is not at all linear and needs a circuit board/controller to interpret it. The confusion comes in because some ECM's have this internally and other require an external box.

Rob