Modifying TPI....T-body location...

mrvette

Phantom of the Opera
Some of you maybe know I have a SBC power motor home thing I playing with, and so Linda/me went to a RV show this weekend, of course I"m asking tech questions....

as it exists now, with TimAT's help I have built a 700 overdrive tranny for the thing, and it has a Qjet on the engine, so with that information and it being a Class C motor home, that means cab over sleeper, and in this case 14' of aluminum on a 411 geared dualie rear diffy....meaning that at 65mph the engine will be doing 3600 rpm with a 350/400 tranny....simply not do able on the MPG front....

so talking to one part/service guy, he said 5-8 mpg on a stock vehicle, and condemned the Qj as a gas sucker...BUT he tought with the 700 I maybe get 10-12 mpg at 70,.....encouraging...

so I asked about FI, would it make much diff for the effort, he said it should get about 15 mpg....

I think that's rather high, but so the question is...to keep the FI thought DOO able with some time/effort, and not tossing MONEY down a dry hole...

is it possible to alter the front input on a TPI setup without fucking up the airflow?? specifically I need to put the t-body up top and center on the engine, blocking the front intake position....

actually thinking of mounting it 'sideways' blades one forward, one aft...or maybe another t-body off another engine, really...

anyone??

:thumbs::smash:

I know i'ts a long read, but better toooo much information than not enough...eh??

OH. the reason for the switch is the accessories are about impossible to move due to space up front in the WIDTH dept...no room for the throttle body...Got plenty of height under the dawghouse though...:smash:

Ever seen a FIRST TPI system? It has a blocked off side mount for the TB, you can mount it on the front or on the side...answers all your ??s :)

100_1522.JPG

TT, NO, first I seen of that First setup...that pix is a bit unclear, , do you have other pix or a diagram or a link for that setup???

SCRATCH anything above, I clicked on the pix header, and yes.....that definately answers my questions....and i't funny as hell we can do that....nothing TO it....some daze even the DAMNED get a lucky break....

Last edited:
I think for the price you would be better off just running a single plane EFI port injection manifold and buy an elbow or mount a 4 barrel throttle body on top of it and then just stick a conventional air cleaner on it. I would think even one of those stealth rams would be a better choice over TPI. I would of suggested a mini-ram but would appear way to hard to put a throttle body in a different location on one

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Holl...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SBC-...r_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item2c5358e96c

Last edited:
I think for the price you would be better off just running a single plane EFI port injection manifold and buy an elbow or mount a 4 barrel throttle body on top of it and then just stick a conventional air cleaner on it. I would think even one of those stealth rams would be a better choice over TPI. I would of suggested a mini-ram but would appear way to hard to put a throttle body in a different location on one

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Holl...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SBC-...r_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item2c5358e96c

Thanks for check around on that, but those two above will not work, the first one has the tbody too far forward, it will be where my a/c and alternator are now, up front/center, and over top of the thermostat already...no choice, as it's a van chassis....the carb style induction is listed at beint rpm range 3000+, I need something like longer runner TPI to get that lo torque out of that 350 engine, ~400 ft lbs....

and besides, there is the cost factor, and I have a old stock TPI setup now, left over from the vette ....knowing I can put the tbody most anywhere on the plenum is a nice trick to know....I assume the shape of the throttle body would not matter much, just a single blade of ~3" diameter should work fine....courtesy GM/junkyard....:twitch:

The HSR is HUGE, it will most likely not fit.

Gene, The firsst system uses a round throttle body, ford style.

Well, I have 14" of clearnace MIN, between the china walls and the top of the dawghouse, the stock TPI is 9" so that leaves me 5 inches....the tbody is about 3" so it's close alright...need build a bonnet for over top of the blade, it's going on top of the old plenum.....should be a easy do, really....

:smash: maybe I look at that side mount again....this is just conceptualizing for a possible future project....

:smash:

sounds like that old TPI system floating around that a guy mounted a 4 barrel carb on top of the plenum :thumbs:

sounds like that old TPI system floating around that a guy mounted a 4 barrel carb on top of the plenum :thumbs:

Nah, need the electronics to keep the ratios at a lean mix....I have all the shit to do with, except some wiring plugs,....stuff nearly free from a junkyard...

:thumbs::smash:

64749b93490e012d.jpg

Here is the same system on my 77. Don't use their wiring, though. I threw it out with the computer and went Accel Thruster. Art