Removing ecu in an '81

ToddG

Thanks in advance for the help. I have done a search on this topic and having a hard time finding concise instructions.

I would like to forge ahead and remove the ECU in mt 81 so I can go with a new aftermarket distributor, carb and intake so I can really play....Installing these items are no problem for me but what I need to know is what else needs to be done electrical wise? Any insight you have or a link, to a how too would be great.

c-ya
ToddG :beer::beer:

I think your '81 has a lockup converter on the THM350c there....and as such you should find 3/4" square plug on the driver's side tranny apron just above the pan bolts....if so, you need to be able to kill lockup by pulling the +12 from the tranny feed, when the BRAKE pedal is pressed........so to make sure that function is not removed with the computer.....

but then you need to be sure the thing will lock up in 3rd gear when driving....there MAY be a pressure switch in the tranny that does that by grounding the other end of the internal lockup solenoid....

Tim AT, is the man here about all that in the trannie dept....send him a PM/email....

:friends: