Turbo Bentley?

BangkokDean

I have a friend over here that has a 83 turbo V8 Bentley and has had many local shops trying to fix his hesitation when excelling. I told him months ago the problem looks like his carburetor not the turbo. So today he calls me and he has taken the car to the third guy that seams to know a little about carburetors. Anyways this guy says the carb is toast. Now looking at the carb that is located in the big box with loads of hoses and tubes on it, the carb looks like a plain old 4 barrel carb to me. Now does anyone know is a turbo carb is some how different from a plain old Edelbrock 650cfm?

I would say blown threw the box reminds me of the old Avanti super chargers.
The turbo blows into the box but has a return tube for??? There are loads of censors and tubes connected to the box, but the carb in there looks like a plain old carb.

Oh it has a sort of igloo where the carb is completely under pressure and as such not pressure referenced/modified. it's a normal carb with bigger enrichment jetting for the added VE when the turbo comes in. Do you know what kind of carb is on there now?

Well it's not a simple looking unit, with wires and hoses everywhere.

Even the idle screws are electronic.

The Carburetor is a Solex 4 A 1, two stage down draft.

I would think that it can be rebuilt? But over here even the better shops don't even have Carburetor cleaner to soak it in. I wonder what the chemical in the cleaner is. I was thinking that a 50% phosphoric acid too 50% water would clean it up nicely. I use it to clean gold and silver after casting and it works great. As for aluminum carb housing????

See pictures attached.
IMG_0371.jpg

IMG_0373.jpg

IMG_0374.jpg

IMG_0375.jpg

I see the accelerator pump arm has 2 positions, let's say the carb (which looks really clean) is okay, new filter and no old worn ignition components I would try the other position. I would also check for vacuum leaks which can be a pain with the amount of hoses I see

I see the accelerator pump arm has 2 positions, let's say the carb (which looks really clean) is okay, new filter and no old worn ignition components I would try the other position. I would also check for vacuum leaks which can be a pain with the amount of hoses I see

Not sure what accelerator pump arm 2 positions you are referring to?

2nd pic, the square thing with the red gasket svrewed to the main body, that's the acc. pump, see the linkage with the spring loaded arm going into the lever? There are 2 postiions, currently it's in the lower pos. if in the upper there pump shot will be quicker

2nd pic, the square thing with the red gasket svrewed to the main body, that's the acc. pump, see the linkage with the spring loaded arm going into the lever? There are 2 postiions, currently it's in the lower pos. if in the upper there pump shot will be quicker

Thanks Marck, I will make that change.:beer:

BTW, what will be a good chemi for a Carb dip that can be mixed up over here for other carbs?

Long time ago, I found that Lacquer thinner worked really well for cleaning carbs......

but like everthing else these daze here, I dunno if they changed whatever....but give it a shot...I used to just dunk the parts into a gallon of it....let soak a hour, and done...blast with air jet....

today, I use the aerosol carb cleaners for cleaning all sorts of junk...

:crutches:

Unfortunately none of the carb cleaners are available over here.So when rebuilding a carb they just wash the parts in gas.