Brake Boosters

Fuelie74

Other than M/C pushrod length is there any differences between a 68-76 and 77-82 brake booster? I tried the hydroboost setup and decided that it is really to much assist for me. So I am planning on going back to vacuum assist and thought it would be nice to not have to swap M/C's and bleed the brakes.

They should mount the same on the firewall side. Not sure about the MC side.

I not sure about the firewall side, but the early boosters had a long pin that goes into the piston on the m/cyl...I call it the long dick version, the later ones had a shorter dick and only hit a divot in the back of the m/cyl piston....I dunno why the change, as all I ever did was cut the dick off, OR stuff a pin into the m/cyl and get done with it....done it twice to two vehicles, no sweat...

just make sure there is a round end to the cut off piece, or that the extender pin has a nice hollow spot for the dick on the booster....

:quote::nuts:

Gene, my original booster had a vacuum leak when I pulled it off, so it needs to be replaced anyways.

Gene, my original booster had a vacuum leak when I pulled it off, so it needs to be replaced anyways.

Hell, seems like unless you kept the old m/cyl and used the spacer, you now need both units to be new....

I LOVE my HB install, don't feel it's over assisted one bit.....I have a stock '72 pressure valve in the p/s pump which is a serp drive unit off a '88 vette....

I had NO clue there was different pressures or flow when I did that swap, I assumed it was just because I wanted the stock '72 flare fitting with the stock steering on the car when I did the serp conversion 15 years ago...

But Jim Shea says there is only 900? psi on the pressures, where racks and HB maybe need 1500? psi, and I have the lower valve in there with both systems in place, and to ME, it's fine....

:crutches::friends: