C6 Z06 brakes on a C3

vette427sbc

A thread over on CF about using BMW rotors on C3's caught my attention the other day and got me thinking. I have always wanted to make a big brake kit for my car. So I did some research to find out what it would take to put the C6 Z06 calipers on a C3. Heres what I came up with:
Z06:
14" front rotors @ 1.26" thick
13.4" rear rotors @1.02" thick

Z06 rotors are way too shallow though to fit without spacers. So,

'04 BMW 7 series:
13.7" front rotors @ 1.18" thick. 3.19" tall rotor hats (stock C3 is 3.08 F)

'07 BMW 525i w/ manual trans front rotors:
12.2" @.95" thick. 3.04" tall rotor hat (stock C3 is 3.09 R) These would be used on the rear. Would have to use a mechanical caliper for the parking brake.

Custom caliper brackets could make up for the 0.xx" hat height differences, but can the calipers still function properly with the slightly thinner rotors?
And I know there are much better big brake kits out there but this could be made for a good amount cheaper (I think) and is more than adequate for my bench racing. :amused:
Comments?

Yes I saw that. Seems like their site is down, so I cant see the exact prices, but I remember it being pretty expensive. Also, that is only for the fronts- they say that they are working on a rear kit which I imagine will cost similar to the front.
If I can make the kit myself, with bigger rotors, less money, and the satisfaction of saying I made it, I would like to go that route. This research is just me thinking out loud right now.

Site works fine here but doesn't mention price. Remember, their rotors are run off the mill Wilwoods or Colemans or similar, you can order those from any speedshop and piece most of the kit together for pennies on the dollar most likely (just like you can piece together a R&P setup for less than half of what they sell them for)
http://speeddirect.com/index.aspx?nodeID=119

A thread over on CF about using BMW rotors on C3's caught my attention the other day and got me thinking. I have always wanted to make a big brake kit for my car. So I did some research to find out what it would take to put the C6 Z06 calipers on a C3. Heres what I came up with:
Z06:
14" front rotors @ 1.26" thick
13.4" rear rotors @1.02" thick

Z06 rotors are way too shallow though to fit without spacers. So,

'04 BMW 7 series:
13.7" front rotors @ 1.18" thick. 3.19" tall rotor hats (stock C3 is 3.08 F)

'07 BMW 525i w/ manual trans front rotors:
12.2" @.95" thick. 3.04" tall rotor hat (stock C3 is 3.09 R) These would be used on the rear. Would have to use a mechanical caliper for the parking brake.

Custom caliper brackets could make up for the 0.xx" hat height differences, but can the calipers still function properly with the slightly thinner rotors?
And I know there are much better big brake kits out there but this could be made for a good amount cheaper (I think) and is more than adequate for my bench racing. :amused:
Comments?

That was my post on the CF about using BMW rotors on a C3. Although I did try it, the BMW rotors had a center hole that was to large to center the rotor properly on the C3 hub. It would work if they were centered, drilled and then bolted to the hub. I ended up going with the C6 Z06 setup, rotors and calipers on front and rear. I also changed the mounting profile of the calipers. In other words, if you look at the drivers side of my car, the front caliper is mounted at about 3 oclock, and the rear caliper is mounted at 9 oclock, just like on the C6 Z06. I was able to do this by machining custom brackets to mount the C6 Z06 caliper to the C3. My wheels did fit with this setup, although I had to use a hubcentric and wheel centric 3/8" spacer on the front and rear. Just wanted to share this info. Thanks

pictures of C6 Z06 brakes on C3

Pictures are on the corvette forum, on a white 1980, search under C6 Z06 brakes on C3.