BBC Wide Body Racer

racervette69

Underachiever
Here's a picture from 1998 Beech Mt Hillclimb. Back then, the field had a number of C3's. GT1 c4. Shaffer was the last ground pounder running the hillclimbs. Now it's just small bangers..

The first one is a BBC, that at one time was raced by Lynn St James. It's for sale I heard.

19439_107913845890820_1000001661463.jpg

Do you have more pics?The 2nd one is a widebody C4? Is that the same red one as the guy who lost his hat?

Do you have more pics?The 2nd one is a widebody C4? Is that the same red one as the guy who lost his hat?

Sure is, dont remember who built the chassis. But was a straight axle, with a winters quick change. I think it went to Canada by way of FL. Someone around here knows who bought it from Butch and where it went. Car had alot of racing history. Hope the person sees this and can fill in the blanks. I see if I can find some more pictures.

The C4 looks like the typical Corvette body used in IMSA and Trans-Am in the eighties and nineties. A co-worker of mine has one that he ran in T/A for a few years. It had a quickchange straight rear axle, and stockcar front suspension with wide-five hubs. The roofline on the race bodywork is lowered about four inches. This caused a couple problems. I couldn't fit in the car, which prevented me from talking the owner into letting me co-drive, and shortening (height-wise) the windshields usually resulted in a cracked and shortlived piece.

The C4 looks like the typical Corvette body used in IMSA and Trans-Am in the eighties and nineties. A co-worker of mine has one that he ran in T/A for a few years. It had a quickchange straight rear axle, and stockcar front suspension with wide-five hubs. The roofline on the race bodywork is lowered about four inches. This caused a couple problems. I couldn't fit in the car, which prevented me from talking the owner into letting me co-drive, and shortening (height-wise) the windshields usually resulted in a cracked and shortlived piece.

The C4 had a quick change IRS, but it was broken at Charlotte motor speedway. Butch put in the straight axle. Had really short links. Butch was 6'5", He had a hell of a time fitting in the car. Thats the reason mine has the bump in the driver side roll bar, to get Butch legal in the car.

Here is the video. Butch was running around 115mph when he framed it at 1.13, unloaded it and spun. The Beech Mt Police Dep had put up a radar sign, so people could see the speeds we where running. The GT1 vette had the fastest trap speed.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NiyCMJaEY4[/ame]

Last edited:
Here's a picture from 1998 Beech Mt Hillclimb. Back then, the field had a number of C3's. GT1 c4. Shaffer was the last ground pounder running the hillclimbs. Now it's just small bangers..

The first one is a BBC, that at one time was raced by Lynn St James. It's for sale I heard.

19439_107913845890820_1000001661463.jpg

Any pics or video of the C3?

Sure is, dont remember who built the chassis. But was a straight axle, with a winters quick change. I think it went to Canada by way of FL. Someone around here knows who bought it from Butch and where it went. Car had alot of racing history. Hope the person sees this and can fill in the blanks. I see if I can find some more pictures.

http://registryofcorvetteracecars.com/ee/index.php/site/view_cars/661

Butch was 6'5", He had a hell of a time fitting in the car. Thats the reason mine has the bump in the driver side roll bar, to get Butch legal in the car.[/QUOTE]

Mikes old Roadster is the same way...