Hooker Side Pipes and O2 sensor install

Curby

OK, just bought my EZ EFI system for the 72 big block. She has the Hooker Super Comp headers on her, which has the collector outside the frame rails.

Does anybody have suggestions for the wideband O2 sensor location?

I have seen them in th top of the collector right by the egg crate, but I don't really want to do that if I don't have to. I am not that great with welding, and I hate to ruin my ceramic coating in such an obvious spot.

Anybody tried to put it in the #7 pipe? Would this cause unstable readings?

Post pictures of your install.

You really don't want it too far forward, with the long primaries the collector would work but it's a pita to mount it there. IMO the best way would be to put it on the inboard side, pointing down at about a 15 deg angle but that means you'll have to cut a hole in the fiberglass.

I mounted mine in the collector. Gotta use a heated one for sure. Its inboard and not quite pointing down but it hasn't caused any problems. Seen other guys do the same.

A heated one comes with the FAST kit. I looked this evening, and I think I can put it on the inside, but I will still notch the bottom of the frame rail with a half piece of roll bar tubing so the O2 sensor is not the lowest piece on the car.

Anybody tried to put it in the #7 pipe? Would this cause unstable readings?

Post pictures of your install.[/QUOTE]

Jeff:

When I installed the O2 sensor (unheated) I was advised to get it around 15 - 18 inches from the exhaust ports and not to isolate it on one cylinder as it would only be reading that one hole instead of a full bank.

Rich :beer: