Fusing cables

Oh crap. I hit edit instead of quote and edited your post

The question in case was:

Does anyone know if you can fuse 2 e-brake cables??

Oh crap. I hit edit instead of quote and edited your post

The question in case was:

Does anyone know if you can fuse 2 e-brake cables??

I've done that on motorgen. No idea what kind of shop would do that. What's involved with crimping something on there? Not something I could do with a vise?

from an aircraft standpoint (where I live) you can't end to end fuse a cable like that without making a really stiff spot in it. And just about all cables are made by taking a small wire and spinning it together with more wires to make a strand, then winding several strands together. Most common is 7 or 9 strand. And unwinding a cable makes it weak since you have to "bend" the wires to untwist it.

IF having a fat place in the cable is not a problem, you can get a nicopress splice and use that.

You might also check with a marine supply store. If they have a section that deals with rigging sailboats, they could probably make you a cable with whatever ends you need.

On the aircraft side, there are many different ends- threaded, clevis, and ball just for a start.

Take a look here:
http://rgl.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library/rgAdvisoryCircular.nsf/list/AC%2043.13-1B/$FILE/Chapter%2007.pdf

Then scroll down to page 32 for a look at some splices. Starting at page 27, the section is all about cables..

Last edited:
Flat spot is cool, nicropress splice is the answer. Thanks TimAT, can I pick one of those up at a hardware store possibly?

Flat spot is cool, nicropress splice is the answer. Thanks TimAT, can I pick one of those up at a hardware store possibly?

Doubtful on the HW store, West Marine here does it, they are a chain...dunno out your way....

:flash:

No idea about your neighborhood, but ACE Hardware in KC has them in several sizes. The crimper for them looks like a big bolt cutter with compound leverage. I'd use that .pdf file I attached to that other post as a guide to get the correct amount of cable thru the nicopress so you get maximum strength..
As mr_vette noted- West Marine has lots of them and very possibly has a small shop they could do the crimp for you too.

No idea about your neighborhood, but ACE Hardware in KC has them in several sizes. The crimper for them looks like a big bolt cutter with compound leverage. I'd use that .pdf file I attached to that other post as a guide to get the correct amount of cable thru the nicopress so you get maximum strength..
As mr_vette noted- West Marine has lots of them and very possibly has a small shop they could do the crimp for you too.

Bought one from Home Depot tonight. Don't remember what they called it, but not nicropress splice. It's basically a large aluminum crimp. The tool to crimp it was $30, so I'm going to try to beat it with a hammer.

Thanks again TimAT.

Bought one from Home Depot tonight. Don't remember what they called it, but not nicropress splice. It's basically a large aluminum crimp. The tool to crimp it was $30, so I'm going to try to beat it with a hammer.

Thanks again TimAT.

I tried that years ago, it did not work for me, there is a die that goes in that press they have for various sizes, it worked....

:hi: