Halfshaft Length

Sky65

I need to pull the rear wheels in a little to help with fender clearance for the tires. The tire sidewalls rub the fenders on suspension compression. I added 3" shafts from Fort Wayne C&D the same time I added the wider wheels. Are there stub axles or u-joint flanges that will shorten the overall length of the half shafts? I don't need much.

Thanks
Tom

There are 2 different lengths halfshafts, 13 7/8" for up to 79 using the drive flanges are and 80-82 with the yokes are 13 1/2". What do you have now? If you have the longer ones, getting a set of 80-82 ones (get the 80-81 manual/all 82 ones or you'll get 2.5" shafts set up for 1330 joints) might do the trick. Do check for excessive camber though and check the toe most definitely.

I measured the shafts, 13 7/8". Looks like I have the correct long ones installed. Not for long! I checked the shim stacks and they are almost all on the insides of the trailing arms. Looks like I can use the short shafts and still get the toe in. :clap:

I'm on the hunt for a pair of short shafts if anyone has some to spare.
:beer:

Well finding the short hafshafts is proving more difficult than I thought. Any have a pair they can spare?

Why not get some new ones and maybe upgrade to alu while you're at it? Dennys comes to mind. Prices aren't that bad if you figure they come ready to run with new joints.

Yeah I thought about having some made. As best I can tell they will fit. It's the slight chance they won't that is keeping me from putting money out.

Well I found a pair of used 1982 halfshafts. They should be here on Monday. I hope they solve my tire clearance problem!

Tom:

Elaine and I will be breezing by about 11:30 tomorrow on our way to NJ for our visit with the owners of a 63 coupe like mine (LOL; not even) and an NCRS top flight 65 396 car.

Hope the half shafts do what you are seeking. BTW, the carrot cake from Kelly's was GREAT ! ! ! ! We can't thank you enough. You are a gentleman and a scholar and there are damned few of us left.

Phone will be on.

Rich:beer:

Hey Rich.
You and your better half are sure welcome!

A Top Fight car? I surprised they would let you near it! :D

The halfshafts came today. 3" diameter and 13 1/2" u-joint center to center. Just the man, TT, said. :thumbs:

Last edited:
Hey Rich.
You and your better half are sure welcome!

A Top Fight car? I surprised they would let you near it! :D

The halfshafts came today. 3" diameter and 13 1/2" u-joint center to center. Just the man, TT, said. :thumbs:

Tom:
Surely you jest. Let me near it? HA ! ! ! If it hadn't been snowing I would have been driving it. Really nice car. He also has a 63 coupe but, unfortunately, it is as close to stock as you can get. Another really nice car.

Let me know how the half shaft switch turns out.

Rich:amused::beer: