Anybody have success grinding calipers to fit 15 X 4.5 backspace wheels?

Red

I can have a great deal on 15 X 8 inch Weld wheels with 4.5 inch backspace. Problem is, they will hit the caliper and wondered if anyone had luck making them fit by grinding down the calipers? I prefer to not use a spacer or adapter.

If they hit the caliper it's not a backspacing issue. No matter if the rim has 3" or 5" backspacing, the design of the spokes on the inside (backside) of the rim is the problem.

How much interference are we talking about?

The Weld wheel does not have spokes, but more of a flat mounting area and that is part of the problem. The wheel mounts, but it sets off the caliper side about 1/4 inch off the rotor. The wheel is held off by the two caliper ends and top side, but on the ends only. I thought I read somewhere that this clearance issue was resolved by doing some grinding. It appears more than a little grinding would be required. 927-90-58348.jpgBefore I start down another dark road, I thought I'd ask for some thoughts and experience from the crew.

I will add that these would be going on my 79 bracket racer. There are two skinny wheels 15 X 4 X 1.75 BS that clear fine, it is the 8 inch wheels that do not clear.

Last edited:
I ground the high spots off rear calipers to clear some 70's era turbine wheels with no ill effects, probably 3/16 ".

Probably the thing to do is to mount and grind away at a core to see how much is necessary to clear and then cut thru the crossection to see how much is left.

I ground the high spots off rear calipers to clear some 70's era turbine wheels with no ill effects, probably 3/16 ".

Probably the thing to do is to mount and grind away at a core to see how much is necessary to clear and then cut thru the crossection to see how much is left.

Did you need to grind mostly at the caliper ends? How much space did you need to allow for cornering wheel flex? It seems on my application, it is the ends on the top caliper side where the most interference is taking place.

If it was me and I really liked the wheel I wouldn`t hesitate to use a billet style spacer (opposed to a cast spacer) and an upgrade to 1/2" wheel studs....I have .625 worth of spacers all the way around.

If it was me and I really liked the wheel I wouldn`t hesitate to use a billet style spacer (opposed to a cast spacer) and an upgrade to 1/2" wheel studs....I have .625 worth of spacers all the way around.

Thanks, but this wheel would not be my first choice, it was just a good deal I was trying to not pass up. After trying to find a way to make them work, I finally gave up. I did keep the pair of 15 X 4 X 1.75 BS for the front, though. The inside of the 8 inch wheel would almost rub the steering knuckle and tie rod if it mounted flush to the rotor. Because of this, I don't know how anyone uses a 4.5 backspace without issues, but they do. It did appear I could have made the wheel mount by grinding the caliper end, past the top caliper half bolt. Also the pad pin guide needed a little off and the wheel might have mounted, but for the tie rod clearance. It was worth exploring, but not to be. Thanks to all who offered suggestions.

Last edited: