AutoMeter gauges installed

vette427sbc

Santa was good to me this year and got me 7 AutoMeter gauges. All of them are Sport-Comps with black face/white letter/red pointer. The speedo and tach are 5" and the center cluster gauges are 2-1/16". All the gauges use electronic senders, so no more oil lines or tach/speedo cables in the interior.
The center cluster gauges were a breeze to mount. They fit in the stock holes, and even rest at an angle towards the driver like the stock ones.
DSCF1040.jpg

The speedo and tach are slightly more difficult since you need to fabricate a bracket to mount them to the factory bezels. Also, since all of the indicator lights are in the gauges, you have to come up with a way for those to still work. Heres what I did: I bought some LED's from radioshack. These are made for 12v applications and have a resistor built in. I drilled some holes in the top of the tach and speedo bezels and mounted them there. The red LED on the speedo is brights (radioshack doesnt make a blue one) green is left turn signal. The red on the tach is brake warning, green is right turn signal and the two oranges are shift lights :cool:
DSCF1035.jpg
DSCF1034.jpg

I used a classic instruments pulse generator for the speedo. Super easy to install, just run your wires to the dash, and screw it into the factory speedo cable location. Here it is mounted to my Muncie M20:
DSCF1036.jpg

I found it easier to put the gauges in first- not mounted to the pad. Then, put the pad in after so you can access the gauges from the top. After cutting and scraping all of my knuckles, I had them all mounted to the dash pad and plugged in.
DSCF1063.jpg
DSCF1065.jpg
DSCF1067.jpg

The center cluster is much easier (probably because I made the wires a bit longer).
DSCF1066.jpg

Took it for a drive for the first time this winter. So far so good. Hopefully the weather holds out tomorrow so I can go for a nice long drive to "break-in" the speedo :D

I love where you put the LED's! I wish I thought of that before I bought my stuff. I planned on putting all of the lights on the center console and bought some 5/16" LED lamps to do so. I think these would be too great of a diameter to mount them like you did. It's a very nice, clean install :thumbs:

That looks great! How did you wire the fuel guage? Was it direct to the existing wiring? I'd like to change the gauges in my 81 to something very similar.

Thanks guys :beer:

BBShark: AutoMeter has a really easy way to calibrate their speedos to most pulse generators... Mark out a 2 mile course with another car, hold the trip reset button while starting the car, push again at the beginning, drive to the 2 mile marker, push the button again, and its done. :yahoo:

Damoroso: I just used a 0-90ohm gauge. All I had to do was crimp on a different terminal to plug it into the new gauge.