Buying a 68-72 Olds Cutlass 'Vert.

DeeVeeEight

Fast Pedalphile
I am looking to buy a 68-72 Olds Cutlass Convertible. My mother had a 72 Vista Cruiser Wagon w/a 350 Rocket 2bbl that was a real pleasure to drive, the 350 moved that big wagon very well. I lean towards a 70-72 model but like them all. Where can I find info on the different models such as Cutlass, Cutlass S, Supreme, SX, and of course the 442's and Hurst/Olds? I keep coming across a shitty IB website but not much else. I would like to know what options came with the different models for these years.

I have come across a '68 that has had the original 350 removed and a 330 with W 31 heads???? and a 4:11 12 bolt posi and some other goodies. I have to admit that I know nothing about this and am looking to learn as much as I can before making a purchase. Your help is much appreciated! :sos:

I can't help you on much that is OLDS specific, but have had a few of those years in the Pontiac version....one of which was a well done over hotrod/tow car....I dunno much on Olds engines ...

:beer:

A buddy of mine has a '68 442. I'm sure he could answer your technical questions. If it's an Olds version of NCRS questions, I'd prefer not to bother him.

Does he know of a useful website? That way I can do my own research. I'm not concerned with NCRS or the Olds equivalent, I just want to buy a nice 'vert and try to avoid any mishaps along the way.

The first source for parts for that sort of car is YEAR ONE, they got their start some 25? years ago doing Goat parts..GTO.....I think another good source if they still are in business is JUST DASHES...they redid my Lemans vert dash and did an excellent job....took about 3 weeks back then, and I had to ship my dash to them, so I picked up a junker and sent that....

if you want to street drive it much, I recommend a 273 gear set with a 400 tranny, assuming a 455 engine....<400 and a 350 tranny is fine, if you have a 323 rear like I did, I would go for a overdrive tranny....same sorta stuff like a C3, as you must know, old Olds parts, like Pontiac engines are getting rare as hell and kinda pricey....I would switch to a SBC these daze, because of that...

I had a Global West front end on mine, with '80 Seville front spindles, and a later Camaro box, and disc brakes...most of those cars came with drum brakes, unless i'ts a factory 442, and even then some times still drums...

There was a diffy in the Olds versions, known back then as the BIG O because of it's larger round inspection cover, back 20 years ago it was very hard to find any support for it, it was a OLDS ONLY diffy, strong enough alright....but I went that route, found out the hard way on parts, sold it for enough to get a Chevelle 12 bolt 323 ratio....

all posi, obviously....

IMO 68-72 were the glory years for the A body cars, the best overall designs on the market for that size/type of car.....I seriously think if they made them again, including convertibles, with retro styling, and stuck to it, they could make a serious come back.....even the station wagon versions...

:clap::beer: I suspect my enthusiasm for your purchase maybe shows a bit...love to see what you do there....

Last edited:
One of the real cool things is that A-Body GM platform. Other than line specific engine/trans/diff combinations, only the trim and sheet metal are different. You can drop anything in there for power you're man enough to do. And the Chevelle, GTO/LeMans, and Cutlass are all there. Everything fits and will look factory.

A buddy of mine has a '68 442. I'm sure he could answer your technical questions. If it's an Olds version of NCRS questions, I'd prefer not to bother him.

Does he know of a useful website? That way I can do my own research. I'm not concerned with NCRS or the Olds equivalent, I just want to buy a nice 'vert and try to avoid any mishaps along the way.

check out www.442.com

check out www.442.com

Thanks! :hi:

And Welcome to the Forum!

check out www.442.com

Yeh, Jeff, Welcome to the motley crew of the Flying Dutchmen....

:cool: