82 Vettester project

82Vettester

The project is an 82 Corvette. I bought it pretty much stock. It had 160Kmi on it, and the wear to show it. The PO had repainted it himself and again, it showed. The price was reasonable and I wasn't going to feel bad about modifying a pristine Vette.

I like the 82's. My first Vette was an 82. Yes, even the odd Crossfire injection. It has a sort of uniqueness feel about it. But ever since my first Vette I wanted a convertible. I had this notion of doing a conversion with this Vette some time in the future. There were a few other things I wanted to change, like a bit more power under the hood and I've always like manual transmissions. Not sure why, I just do. So that was a possibility.

82_silver_blue.jpg

First, I'll go back up a few years where I cleaned up the rear a little.

I wanted to address the mechanicals first, and the diff was leaking out of all the seals and had a bit too much play. I also never liked the factory gear ratio. It was terrible. After a ride in a friends car that he had put 3.73 gears in I decided I'd try that.

Rear_before_P1010155.jpg

I sent the diff off for a rebuild and gear change. Back then I didn't know of some of the great people on the forums and the work they do. If I had I would have done it differently.

I cleaned up under car area. I used gloss grey for the fiber glass. You'll notice I use a lot of Gloss paint. It cleans up better with a pressure washer after getting road grime all over it.

P_82_rear_grey_glass_P1010243.jpg

diff_and_batwing_P1010249.jpg

Cleaned_up_rear_susp_P1010442.jpg

But it all gets covered up with the spare tire installed.

spare_tire_carrier_0450.jpg

--------------------------
Next item the rear bearings went. When I redid the diff I checked the bearings. The pass side was a bit on the high side, but the drivers side was what worried me. I measured 0.000 play. I tried and tried to get a reading, but it was zero. I suspect the PO (Toyota mechanic) replaced it and set it to zero. I didn't have the time, but planned on redoing them soon.

Well as it was I ended up driving the Vette every day to work for a couple months. One day I went to switch the tires with some others I had and I could tell that drivers side bearing was shot. The play was huge. Something like 0.150. I to tell the bearing was trashed.

Right then I was rushed for time so I changed out the trailing arms for a set of offset ones from Van Steel. Just a buy and install. I did a little more clean up but not much.

Removing the old TAs the fast way:

Cut_the_bolt_P1000334.jpg

New parts:
New_TA_assm_P1000456.jpg

I used poly bushings, but I hate the squeak that occurs after a few years (like 10yrs). So In an attempt to prevent that I installed some grease fittings. I also cut brass shims for the ones that contacts the bushing in the TA. Similar I used thin brass shim in the strut bushings. And greased it up real well.

Strut_zerk_P1000477.jpg
TA_zerk_P1000470.jpg

Offset_TAs_installed_P1010011.jpg

-----------------------------------

There was a bunch of the typical little stuff that has needed fixing since then. But right now I've got the Vette in my converted carport (like a crowded garage) with the front suspension steering off of it.

This is what it looked like during last year as I started working on it.

20741520010_large.jpg

20741520011_large.jpg

The work area became an IR oven in the summer here in Phoenix Arizona, and no ventilation and it has folding doors that the Vette blocks from opening. It baked me out. I had to take a break and install an evaporative cooler just to make it survivable.

I've got some more I just need to post it.

Last edited:
Nice work on another DIY project. Why cover your nice work with the spare tire carrier. After finishing my ST cover off nicely, I though why cover up all the detailed IRS parts and the cover went into the attic. Thanks for sharing the pics!

I thought about leaving off the spare, but I wasn't comfortable with waiting a few hours for AAA to show up if ran over something. When I finish up everything I just might let it show. Right now it's got road dust all over it again.

Starting with 27 years and 160,000 miles of dirt, grease, tar, etc.

Cleaning_up_front_02_P1040035.jpg
LF_before%20cleaning_01_P1040085.jpg

It would have been a lot simpler to degrease and pressure wash it before I jacked it up and disassembled it. But I wasn't thinking of that when I started this job. Actually the cleaning wasn't that bad, just took a while. Mostly since this an original AZ and there's almost no rust. If there was actually any paint on the frame from the factory it came off with the cleaner I mixed up. When the crud and undercoating came off it was just bare metal under it. I think I saw some paint in one spot briefly.

It took a lot of scrubbing, wire brushing and a little sanding to get it cleaned up and ready.

LF_frame_cleaned_up_P1040190.jpg
RT_frame_clean_01_P1040079.jpg

LF_frame_section_clean_P1040124.jpg

LF_frame_section_clean_above_P1040143.jpg

I got the spring sockets the best I could.
spring_socket_after_cleaning_P1040139.jpg

I sanded by hand with 40 grit to give the POR-15 a rough surface to grab onto. Then etched the metal and painted (2 coats). I also primered the inner fender. I'm going to gloss gray them like I did the rear.

I have ended up doing the frame in small portions, due to having to work around everything.

RT_frame_POR-15_started_01_P1040102.jpg

Last edited:
wow, amazingly clean without disassembly I don't even want to think about the amount of time it took to get it that clean. Great job.

wow, amazingly clean without disassembly I don't even want to think about the amount of time it took to get it that clean. Great job.

Thanks guys, It did take a lot of time. One of the big pains (literally) was all the sharp weld splatter and weld wire left from GM. I kept cutting myself when I tried to get my hands it there to get it clean, even with gloves. I eventually used a grinder to smooth off the spots I could get to.

Thanks guys, It did take a lot of time. One of the big pains (literally) was all the sharp weld splatter and weld wire left from GM. I kept cutting myself when I tried to get my hands it there to get it clean, even with gloves. I eventually used a grinder to smooth off the spots I could get to.
Wow, I found weld spatter and bits of wire around the front end of mine. I never realised it was the factory :eek:

Great job so far though. Lots of work and it shows :thumbs:

Wow, I found weld spatter and bits of wire around the front end of mine. I never realised it was the factory :eek:

Great job so far though. Lots of work and it shows :thumbs:

I suppose it can vary a bit from time to time how much hangover the guy had, but I have never seen any evidence of that on GM cars of the era....

I suspect accident repairs more than anything...
:quote:

mrvette;61573....I suspect accident repairs more than anything... :quote:[/QUOTE said:
Didn't seem to be any repairs. Looked original. There would be a chunk of wire were the welder struck and then a trail over to where he did his weld. a fair amount of splatter and re-starts instead of continuing.

They all have the crappy welds, wire sticking out, weld splatter everywhere from dragging from one bead right to another and worst of all, serious undercutting and porous welds. The guys building these sure weren't proud of their work. I ground out all the welds on my frame and did them properly.

Prime example:
24b5702d36b994.jpg

Well, I have to admit, I never did a frame off on my car, but never noticed any of that slop either....maybe need open my eyes??

:flash::beer:

After removing all the suspension and steering I began shopping for the needed replacement parts. As many of you may also do, I also had my eye on possible upgrades. I was going to have to replace almost every part of the steering. I chose to instead go with a rack and pinion system. While in some ways I would have liked to fab my own, the buy and bolt in is where I ended up (Steeriods).

I chose to go poly on all the bushings and stuff although I plan on trying to add the grease fittings like I did to the rear. Well as things turned out I had a tax return in hand at the time and I got thinking about upgrades "while I was at it". VB&P had 20% off sale and I convinced myself that now was the time if I wanted to update the suspension. I ended up ordering their adjustable dual mount transverse spring setups. I also picked up a hydroboost from someone on one of the forums.

A little intimidating when all those parts arrive and I realized all the work I had left to do. I'm sure if there's any issues you guys will know the answers.

I had a couple of the items from before, but piling it all together helped inspire me.

Suspension_parts_P1040050.jpg

Beer, credit cards, online parts shopping and a tax return can make a dangerous mix.

82V, looks like the pile I played with over the last maybe 8 years...

all condensed into about a month....:stirpot::clap: Get to work,....:lol:

Shame, shame, shame........ Man, looking good. Hell, I am just proud that after four years I no longer have puddle of some type of fluid under it when its parked. :) Great job! Keep us updated. (note to self: do not ever post pictures of underside of my 82 near this guy)

tt