New Radiator Support

pro-touring

Just finished the new alu rad-support,it came out pretty nice!.Now just gonna paint it black and get it installed in car.
I made all pieces with simple tools that everyone has at home!,then a local guy weld it together.
Total cost 85-usd:thumbs:And best thing is the weight-savings,it only weights 3.6kg compared to the stock one was 21kg!!.
And there was no changes in front-end stiffness compared to stock:drink:Here is a couple of pics before paint.
002.jpg

003.jpg

004.jpg

Looks beautiful!

It's always a tough decision whether to show off some lightweight aluminum pieces, or to paint them black and let the people scratch their heads trying to figure out how your car got so light.

Whoever told you....they lied :) if it don't go you can always chrome it, same applies for polished.

Is there and issues on crash worthyness when switching that out to aluminum? The K-member is welded in solid which might do what ever the brace would have done. What do you guys think? That's a lot of weight that would be real nice to get rid of.

MUCH easier to fill the frame with helium ....knock off 200 lbs easy....

:harhar::shocking:

but if you did it with hydrogen...that would be truly :shocking::1st:

Awesome !!! I just removed mine and cut it up, I'm using smaller tubing and lighter brackets. Not only for weight savings - the huge tube sits right in front of the radiator blocking airflow.

Polish ?? Why not sandblast it ?? With softer blsating media (f.e walnut shells) it's going to look just like sandblasted steel.... many will wonder why it doesn't rust... :lol:

MUCH easier to fill the frame with helium ....knock off 200 lbs easy....
:harhar::shocking:

but if you did it with hydrogen...that would be truly :shocking::1st:

Remember, with helium you're only reducing the weight, not the mass.

That and remember the more weight you lift with your helium idea, the less grip the tires have and increase in braking distance will occur. Then he will wish he had the 5mph bumper or even a stronger one :idea:

I once thought about making some aluminum parts for my C3. Only problem is I'm gaining more weight then I could take off the car. Time for Jenny Craig I guess!