17,000 rpms F1 This video never gets old

racervette69

Underachiever
Music to my ears! 17,000 rpms dyno run.

[ame]http://videos.streetfire.net/video/Renault-F1-engine-on-dyno_16478.htm[/ame]

:eek::surrender: NUTZ, that thing ever come apart it would take them and the lab apart with it....

:twitch:

:eek::surrender: NUTZ, that thing ever come apart it would take them and the lab apart with it....

Here is one taken when they were allowed 20,000 rpm.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSHToyGIxWE&feature=PlayList&p=017B3CB7449422D8&index=0&playnext=1[/ame]

How Indy cars live at sustained high RPM always amazed me. The engineering geometry, metalurgy and balance must be spot on for this achievement. That said, I still prefer the lumpy sound of an old souped-up Chebbie!:1st:

How Indy cars live at sustained high RPM always amazed me. The engineering geometry, metalurgy and balance must be spot on for this achievement. That said, I still prefer the lumpy sound of an old souped-up Chebbie!:1st:

I agree, my one and only NASCAR race here in Daytona '98 was a bit of disappointment because of the super high engine rpm's they sounded like deranged honey bees....

I used to know a old NASCAR engine builder in Laurel Md, just off US1, north of DC Bill Jones? anyway he only worked at night because of his location...we asked why, and he said it was because truck traffic especially, and ALL traffic was about non existent at 3 am......ground vibrations would throw his balance machine off....WTF, we didn't argue the point, but to realize it was all THAT sensitive was a bit much.....

another race engine builder down the street here, they are WAY the hell out in the country just off Thunder Road, (serious about that name), and so they work at night too.....balancing...interesting that two shops, years apart,and same habits....

:cool::crutches:

Hearing the Indy style cars are pretty cool. Sitting in a turn, hearing the turbos pop is bad azz.
Ed Howe built what was called 180 degree headers for short track stock cars. They turned up an both sides exited the passenger side. This gave more ground clearance. Anyhow, these Chevy small blocks sounded like an angry Jap bike. I liked it!

Here is a another video of a V8 in a tunnel.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hBGUCDj-4g[/ame]

Last edited:
180 degree headers

I don't recall who owned the car, but it seems like Jimmy Spencer introduced NASCAR to 180 deg. headers in the early 80s (that's not my point) but Mike Harrison introduced them to the SCCA GT-1 SeDiv at about the same time. I prefer the sound of the (lightly muffled) side exhaust we still use today, but when the 180 headers were introduce, the sound reverberating off the back stretch wall at Charlotte Motor Speedway (when it was Bucks yard,waaaay before it became Lowes Motor Speedway) at 170+MPH was phenominal...not to mention the marked increase in horse power. Most folks didn't have a clue what it was...
don't all SBCs sound like that over 7800 rpm:lol:

Last edited: