No Power Steering

Holeshot

When i bought a 75 vet,i was told that the steering pump was bad. Replaced the pump,and i am sure i got all the air out of the system. Still no power steering (same if i have the belt on or off) I have been driving the car for a while, but want to fix this now. I tried to turn the balance nut on the valve, and it seemed to be working ok. (wheel turned easy one way, and hard the other way ) I think it might be the cylinder, but want some input before i buy a new one. Thanks in advance

I am a bit confused. If you have no power assist, how can you adjust the control valve and get some assist "and it seemed to be working ok. (wheel turned easy one way, and hard the other way )".

If you do have assist in one direction your problem cannot be the pump. The power steering pump does not know what direction you are turning.

I have heard of worn assist cylinders that could cause the problem you describe. Otherwise, it must be the control valve since you are sure that you got all the air out of the system.

Jim

Normally the steering is hard both ways. I was not sure if that brand new steering pump was bad, thats why i was playing with the balancing nut on the control valve to see if it made any difference. Since it did, that led me to the steering cylinder (or contol valve) since i knew there must be pressure from the pump. I was hoping that some members might have had the same problem. I have seen a thred about this subject somewhere, but dont remember where... I have also replaced all steering hoses, but it made no difference.

UPDATE: Changed the steering cylinder, a bit better, but still lack of power steering. Have bought new control valve, but since this is a long time project, its sill not mounted. Update later :beer:

NEW UPPDATE. The control valve was the problem. Now the power steering works just fine with all new parts.:drink: