Help with the 49 Bentley

big2bird

Charter Member, Founder Bird-Run, Cruise-In Bird-R
Guys. This engine has a 1/2" copper tube coming thru the alum sump via a bulkhead fitting. We had to disassemble it to remove the sump. I thought it was 5/8" compression fittings. It would seem this tubing is .59" OD vs .625" american size. Anybody know what this size is, or where I can buy some tubing/compression fittings/packing glands? Does Canada use this size? I'm screwed for now. Jeff

Are you sure it's not a 15mm copper line?

Actually, it is. I located compression fitting packing glands from Maryland. Now, I need just 1' of tubing. Anybody have some scrap lying around? I'll pay to ship it here.

Actually, it is. I located compression fitting packing glands from Maryland. Now, I need just 1' of tubing. Anybody have some scrap lying around? I'll pay to ship it here.

OK, that line goes from the oil pan/sump to where???

External oil filter on the side. TOO many fittings to change it all to US standard.

Even better. THIS engine is called a V-40. It's a Bentley tank engine, and is immersible. Yep. All wiring and plug wires are covered in submarine cable. Dizzy is waterproof. :wink::lol:

External oil filter on the side. TOO many fittings to change it all to US standard.

Even better. THIS engine is called a V-40. It's a Bentley tank engine, and is immersible. Yep. All wiring and plug wires are covered in submarine cable. Dizzy is waterproof. :wink::lol:

Intimate PICX PLEASE, that I gotta SEE......seriously, interesting topic....

:clap::clap::clap:

Intimate PICX PLEASE, that I gotta SEE......seriously, interesting topic....

:clap::clap::clap:

I'll get some manana.

Bird, No I don't think those sizes would be common here either. Most stuff is still standard here to. Hose and tubing is normally sold in inch sizes. If someone does need some weird metric size, the cursing usually begins by all involved.

Bird, No I don't think those sizes would be common here either. Most stuff is still standard here to. Hose and tubing is normally sold in inch sizes. If someone does need some weird metric size, the cursing usually begins by all involved.

Thanks. At least I know.

Try air conditioning copper tubing. Water tubing is sized by the I.D., A/C tubing is sized by the O.D. I'm pretty sure. At least that's how it is here in the Ft. Worth area.

Try air conditioning copper tubing. Water tubing is sized by the I.D., A/C tubing is sized by the O.D. I'm pretty sure. At least that's how it is here in the Ft. Worth area.

Thanks. I believe I have it solved for now.

You must have seen that at Homey Depot. :banghead:
They have enough buying power to get the water tubing mislabelled.
Threw me for a loop once and a second trip.

All tubing is measured by od.
All pipe up to 12 inch or so is measured by id.

A/c uses 1/2" tubing.
Water uses 5/8" tubing or 1/2" L or M copper pipe.

I thought Britain didn't mostly change to metric until the late 70's or so.
That car with positive ground? :)bomb:) should still be Imperial sizes. Any tubing should fit.

You have a set of Whitworth wrenches to work on that thing???:clap:

I thought Britain didn't mostly change to metric until the late 70's or so.
That car with positive ground? :)bomb:) should still be Imperial sizes. Any tubing should fit.

You have a set of Whitworth wrenches to work on that thing???:clap:

I tried some 1/2"OD. Too small. 5/8"OD is a tad large. Waiting for the 15MM

Photos please.

Bird,
Sounds like a fun project you've got there. How about some photos like you "promised"? BTW, I also have some tank engines, Rolls Royce Meteor Mark IV V12 27 litre babies. For the metrically challenged, that's about 1619 cubic inches.

Trying to work out what chassis to put one in. I'm looking at a Holden one tonner chassis. That's a 111" wheelbase box perimeter chassis fitted under the Holden one ton utility or "cab/chassis", that is derived from the Holden passenger cars of the mid seventies.

I might have to go to a Chev C20 long wheelbase chassis though, as the Holden might be too short. I've got a picture of Jay Leno's "Tank Car" in mind, but mine won't look anywhere that good. Not enough $$$$$$$$$. But first, the Corvette.............!!

Regards from Down Under:drink:

aussiejohn