Stock Stereo and Amp?

SmokinBBC

I am redoing my interior...(no, I haven't finished the second seat yet!!!).

Anyhow, I am keeping the original radio/stereo using a box with infiniti speakers that goes behind the seat. Used this before and it works adequate. I am not a stereo buff. I like to drive and hear my ride and the surrounding sounds.

There looks to be some kind of small amp connected to the original stereo. The amp is stuffed under the passenger side dash. Is this thing any good? Can it be checked to see if it is working? Should I just go with it and leave good enough alone?

Also, there are some small speakers in the kick panels that the previous owner installed. They are disconnected, so I don't know if they work yet. Can these old stereos handle 4 speakers? I guess I need to see how he wired them to the stereo.

The only thing I am upgrading is the antenna. I am putting in a power antenna so that I can get a car cover on without having to remove the whip jobbie.

Last edited:
The little amp is OEM to that radio. If it worked before, it will work again.
If it was me, I'd save them in the garage and install a new unit and speakers. They are light years ahead of that old stuff.

If it was me, I'd save them in the garage and install a new unit and speakers. They are light years ahead of that old stuff.

I looked for a unit that would fit the existing bezel. Not too many options from what I can tell. Looked at Ecklers and have heard that the custom audio usa is not that good...

Any ideas where to find a unit that fits that is decent and not too expensive?

Leave the stock unit in place as a dummy/distraction for thieves....so to bury a good enough stereo in back, and run it with a posket MP3 player and ~8 gigs of music, enough to provide some months of listening....

plug in and play, take it with you...hide the cable under the seat....

I looked for a unit that would fit the existing bezel. Not too many options from what I can tell. Looked at Ecklers and have heard that the custom audio usa is not that good...

Do you have a vertical unit, or horizontal? I forget the year of your car.:sweat:

Do you have a vertical unit, or horizontal? I forget the year of your car.:sweat:

'70 Horizontal.

If you do keep the stock radio, just be aware of the speakers you hook up to it. I had my stock radio working for a little- Bought the car with no speakers and tested it out one day with some speakers I had laying around in the garage. Worked for about a minute and heard a pop. I learned that stock speakers are 4ohms (I think... I do know they are different than modern speakers) and that is what blew the radio

'70 Horizontal.

Your choices are four
1)Retain stock unit
2)Hidden upgarde with remote
3)Custom Autosound (I hear NFG)
4)Store your original bezel, and hack up a repop like I did to accept a modern unit. Mine came out so good it looks original. A year later, they came out with this:
http://www.ecklers.com/product.asp?pf_id=46331&dept_id=1030

If you do keep the stock radio, just be aware of the speakers you hook up to it. I had my stock radio working for a little- Bought the car with no speakers and tested it out one day with some speakers I had laying around in the garage. Worked for about a minute and heard a pop. I learned that stock speakers are 4ohms (I think... I do know they are different than modern speakers) and that is what blew the radio

You have that backwards, modern speakers are 4 ohm and present too much loading to the TEN ohm stock systems of ages gone by....you can get away with the more common EIGHT ohm speakers you can still buy at places like radio shack....

those old transistors in them radios are not much to start with, and with age, some of them actually degrade with time....to the point of super fragile...

:lol:

"Your choices are four
1)Retain stock unit
2)Hidden upgarde with remote
3)Custom Autosound (I hear NFG)
4)Store your original bezel, and hack up a repop like I did to accept a modern unit. Mine came out so good it looks original. A year later, they came out with this:
http://www.ecklers.com/product.asp?p...1&dept_id=1030"

Jeff, I saw that DIN bezel at eklers....If I go that route and add a decent head unit and four speakers, will my charging system hold up? It's the original 60amp alternator. It seems that I already draw a lot of power in the evenings with the lights on.

Gene, I have the stock stereo unit and ran it with Alpine type S speakers which are 4ohms. They worked ok. Here are the speakers:

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_500SPS507/Alpine-SPS-507.html?search=alpine+type+s&ssi=0&tp=93

Can I keep these and go with my stock stereo without problems(other than sounding like a 70's unit)?

Jeff, I saw that DIN bezel at eklers....If I go that route and add a decent head unit and four speakers, will my charging system hold up? It's the original 60amp alternator. It seems that I already draw a lot of power in the evenings with the lights on.

Yes. Modern systems are very effecient. As long as you don't use a "ghetto Blaster Amp," you'll be fine.:D
PS. If your lights dim at night at idle, your regulator is shot.

Yes. Modern systems are very effecient. As long as you don't use a "ghetto Blaster Amp," you'll be fine.:D
PS. If your lights dim at night at idle, your regulator is shot.

Lights always stay at the same brightness once they are on.

I don't think I'll be getting into a Ghetto Blaster anytime soon:lol:

This is getting into money territory...keep existing system and paint bezel....the cost of paint.

Go with hidden unit....$200 (???)for the head unit and some mod work.

Go with a new DIN bezel and head unit $450 to $500.(I refuse to cut the old bezel!).

BTW, my wife has an IPOD with a "transmitter" accessory. Tune the radio to a station and the radio picks up the IPOD signal...pretty slick. Tried it once on the vette radio and it worked pretty good. Although the quality may not be the same, it's a lot more convenient than carrying around CD's.

Kenwood head from Crutchfield
Polk audio speakers $70 on sale at Frys
Stock repop bezel, and cut it yourself. I used a cutoff wheel in a die grinder. I dare you to tell the diff.

Maybe a hidden unit is best for you. All these (new) units come with remotes, MP3 jacks, and even a USB port.

Stock repop bezel, and cut it yourself. I used a cutoff wheel in a die grinder. I dare you to tell the diff.

Maybe a hidden unit is best for you. All these (new) units come with remotes, MP3 jacks, and even a USB port.

I don't doubt that your bezel looks great...but, I just don't want to hack it up.

I am leaning towards a hidden unit and keep my stock look. Now, just need to figure the best place to mount without major issues. Cannot mount it in the back..need that for the t-tops.

I don't doubt that your bezel looks great...but, I just don't want to hack it up.

I am leaning towards a hidden unit and keep my stock look. Now, just need to figure the best place to mount without major issues. Cannot mount it in the back..need that for the t-tops.

Jamb it in the jack compartment. That's what AAA is for.:idea:

Repops are under $100, the later style is under $60...

http://cgi.ebay.ca/72-73-74-75-76-C...r_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item2eaa2dcf8f

http://cgi.ebay.ca/77-78-79-80-81-8...r_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item5ad06e817f

I'm sure you can find a used bezel for under $50 shipped. Cut that to fit a modern stereo... simple....

A decent head unit is under $100 - Kenwood,Sony,Pioneer...any name brand, if you're only looking for a head unit that plays MP3 CDs and radio most of the cheaper ones will do... it's getting expensive when you want USB port, Ipod in, remote, 2 pre amp oulets, separate subwoofer out and so on....