Tired of covering car with plastic when it rains weatherstripping questions

JeffP1167

My car has very little remains of it's wetherstripping on the top. So I'm considering buying new stuff but at the same time the car needs new paint. Can this stuff be put on without glue for the time being or without glue will it still all leak? On the front of the roof "a pillar" all thats left of my weatherstripping is a piece of wire.

I elected to do it now! I'm doing hiway every day so the wind noise got to be annoying. If I have to take it back off for paint then so be it. But that's just me.

How imminent is your paint?

My car has very little remains of it's wetherstripping on the top. So I'm considering buying new stuff but at the same time the car needs new paint. Can this stuff be put on without glue for the time being or without glue will it still all leak? On the front of the roof "a pillar" all thats left of my weatherstripping is a piece of wire.

It needs to be glued. You could always buy the "cheap" stuff, and use 3M weatherstrip adhesive. 3M also makes weatherstrip adhesive remover. When painting, I would get the "Best" weatherstrip you can buy. The originals were latex, and very soft/conforming. I believe Doc or Wilcox has that item. The CC stuff is too hard. IMHO.

I bought mine from Wilcox and the strips fit very well. They have to be glued and they most likely will get damaged if you tru to remove them. The strip at the windshielkd can easlily be masked when painting, you don't paint that pillar anyways... the strips around the doors and the tops have to come off for paint.
The 3M weatherstripping adhesive is some nasty stuff (good glue)...