If you know alot about tires come in

JeffP1167

I have a set of BFGoodrich tires that really seem to be doing stuff out of the normal for there age (2 years old)

Sidewalls cracking everywhere
cracks in the tread
always loosing air (not sure if the rims are the issue)
sidewalls not smooth (high and low spots everywhere that feel like buldges)

All this cracking seems uniform on the inside and outsides of all 4 tires. The outsides of each tire have about a 1/2 inch wide that runs the entire diameter of the tires that is completely cracked and soft. Where the tread sort of overlaps the sidewall almost everywhere cracks are going into and under the tread.

Have any of you ever seen tires do this at 2 years old and say 20K miles???? Am I dealing with a bad batch of tires??? These things started with one trie that always lost air and it was thought to be the rims as the cause and it started doing the leaking after these tires were put on. Silicone was applied to wheel beads (which didn't help)

The car has never been raced or abused in any manner. The car for the longest time has always felt unstable when hitting imperfections in the road (which was thought to be suspension related or the rack and pinion. The car has 117K miles on it yet drives like a 250K mile car.

I just replaced the rims and tires with used hankook tires and stock rims 245/50/16 with like 8/32 tread verses stock wheels 235/55/16. Now the car seems pretty nice and very stable and responsive on its steering when doing say 70 and jerking the steering wheel in either direction.

What's the production date on the tires? Should be printed on the sidewall. However, little use, scorching heat and shitty quality....recipe for disaster

2007 or 2008 unless I'm reading the date wrong! The car is used a few times a week and most of those miles were on a trip to seattle and back and two trips to phoenix. I will try and post some pictures later so you can see what I mean by how bad these tires are.

Last edited:
1225090920.jpg

1225090917-1.jpg

1225090922.jpg

Those look like a lot older than 2YO tires to me...rubber rot for lack of a better description. I have the Goodrocks on mine now for 4 years...about 15k on them. They look like new with normal treadwear.

The tires that came with the car (20year old BFG) looked better than yours do.

I know I have like 10 year old BF's on the back of my 82 trans am that aren't doing what these are doing. These were replaced 2 years ago when I went to seattle with the car. I am not sure in reality just how old they are only how long they have been on the car.

These were on my 1997 camaro so weight etc. isn't a contributing factor nor is high speed as the most this car has ever seen is maybe 80mph. These tires have been a problem since they were first put on the car and the shop that did them claimed the rims were the source of any leaks. Yet prior to these being put on it had no problems at all.

The date of manufacture is indicated by the last group of digits, which usually appear in a sunken rectangle. Before 2000, this group had three digits; since 2000, it has had four. The first two digits are the week of the year (01 = the first week of January). The third digit (for tires made before 2000) is the year (1 = 1991). For tires made after 2000, the third and fourth digits are the year (04 = 2004). The date of manufacture is essential information because tires deteriorate even if they are not used. European automobile manufacturers recommend that tires older than 6 years, including spares never driven upon, be discarded.

Being the last digit of my DOT number is a "1" does that mean these tires were in fact made in 1991? Or 2001?

Those look scary to me, regardless of their age.

Anecdotally, I bought a sports car years ago with some dead BF Goodrich tires on the mags. When I took them off to get them replaced I was amazed at the weight. Would you believe the new tire AND wheel weighed less than the old tire alone?

I've avoided them since....

Nope Always had a portable pump to inflate them when they leaked so they were never run low on air. Two of the tires have a dot code of being built in "05" but the two others end with "11" I looked at my reciept and I had them put on the car in june of 2007 so they are not even 3 years old.

Just noticed your pic of the DOT code, those tires are a lot older, you have been had. Sometime in the last 10 years or so the code changed to a 4 digit code w/ the manuf. week and year, so for example 1308 would be 13th week 2008. Yours doesn't even have that so they are a lot older. TJ11... maybe 1st week 2001, could also be 1st week 1991. 2011 is not an option obviously.

yes two of the tires have the "11" code while the other two have like a 4 digit code at the end like "0805"