seized bolts.

6-71

Can anyone tell me how to get the body mounting bolts in the front door pillars out? Mine are rusted in and rounded off!..AAAAAARRRGGGHHH. Is there a tool that will get them out?
Cheers:suicide:

I think the only option is to grind off the head. It will take some time but it can be done.

Depending on the access you have I have found starting with a small drill bit and working my way up until the head can be broken off works fairly well to.

aaarrrggghhh!

Thanks guys.....it sounds like there's no easy solution..DOH! a lot of hard work ahead I guess!:sweat:

Actually there is, the access there is good enough to weld a nut on and use that as a fresh head, the heat will get the bolts loose too. Also, you could always remove the bolts from the door and then work on the hinges with the door removed.

I dunno if possible, but I"d be tempted to go in through the side edge of the wheel well with a Sawzall, glass/weld the thing back.....

obviously have to gauge where to cut....well DUHHHH.....:lol:

I've always been able to grab a round bolt head with a good set of vice grips and then turn it. Adjust them so that you need to use all your might to clamp them. Soak it all in penetrating oil the day before and then just before. Wrench away.

Have you tried one of those fancy sockets designed to grip on rounded off bolts? I have had good luck with the set I have

..Also, in my very limited experience, I believe that an air powered impact wrench is more effective, in loosening a corrosion welded bolt, than a hand tool.

The body mounts in front of the doors and behind the doors use bolts that screw into nuts that are spot welded to a cage - see photo below, this cage is to the right above the trashcan lid:

12694b39446f90d78.jpg

Phantomjock posted the pic (thanks)....

weld something to the bolt and worst case snap the bolt.... fix it when the body is off....

Now if you're planning on replacing these body mounts with the body in place (like I did successfully) then drill a small hole next to the bolt head thru the old rubber mounts and inject penetrating oil - this way the oil gets to the threads where you need it.

Good luck

Chance for a New tool to help!

I recognize that MESS!

If you haven't a set of these:
12694b3be00e0cf10.jpg

GET THEM!

You can get them at Lowe's/Autozone etc. Works like as an extractor on NUTS and Bolt Heads. As you rotate to remove, it tightens down on the head and adds pull to the bolt.

Cheers - Jim

Thanks again guys. Wow, got plenty to go at now!...Will let you know how I get on and which method did it!:sos:

Cheers, Nick

If you are rounded off completely the set illustrated above will most likely do the job for you. If you have any corners or flats left at all you can use the "Metrinch" sockets. They are kind of shamrock shaped inside and will eccentric off and lock in place so you can remove the bolt.

Rich:drink:

Thanks for that Rich..do you know where can I get hold of them?:friends:

Actually there is, the access there is good enough to weld a nut on and use that as a fresh head, the heat will get the bolts loose too. Also, you could always remove the bolts from the door and then work on the hinges with the door removed.

I like this idea, the welding heat may help loosen the seized threads, but find a long coupling nut to weld on to your seized bolt. The long coupling nut will give you enough material to weld on, with enough nut left to easily fit a socket.

I like this idea, the welding heat may help loosen the seized threads, but find a long coupling nut to weld on to your seized bolt. The long coupling nut will give you enough material to weld on, with enough nut left to easily fit a socket.

I do this all the time and never use a long coupling nut. Just oversize the nut and weld the center of the the nut like you were doing a plug weld.

I do this all the time and never use a long coupling nut. Just oversize the nut and weld the center of the the nut like you were doing a plug weld.

if you've got enough space then that's the way to go. Let the heat soak thru the bolt into the part with the threaded hole, then chill the bolt... then hope it breaks loose... :evil: