Key off - what should work?

pcf_mark

Weird - on a '66 does it make sense the key can be removed when the car is running?
Also all the stuff still works with the key off: lights, headlights roll over, power windows, heater fan, radio. It did not do that in the past that I remember.

Could my ignition switch be shot? The battery has been dead a few times over night and I think the radio killed it (big amps) because it did not go off when I took the key out.

The key will come out when running on a 66 and back then I believe that was common. The only thing I see as abnormal would be the heater fan and the radio working when the key is off. I'll look at my DocRebuild diagram and see if I can figure out why the heater and radio are working but you might be right about the switch. Have you added anything to the system ?

Not sure about 66, but later years the windows can be made to work anytime- just pull the power feed from IGN and put it in BAT. Not a real great idea IMHO, but it's an easy swap. IIRC, some years even mentioned in the owners manual that the dealer could "Adjust" the windows so they would work without a key.

Thanks for thge feedback. The radio is beyond factory but uses the factory power to trigger start up etc. I wonder if my igintion switch is shot? Maybe the connections are still hot because the key switch shorted??

Thanks for thge feedback. The radio is beyond factory but uses the factory power to trigger start up etc. I wonder if my igintion switch is shot? Maybe the connections are still hot because the key switch shorted??

Thats possible but because you have an aftermarket radio I would check first to make sure the radio install hasn't "jumpered" the red wire circuit to the brown wire circuit.
The red wire circuit is hot all the time. The brown wire circuit should be hot only when the key is on.