C3 Spring Length

Ralphy

I am trying to find out if my rear suspension has been narrowed. Can someone give me the centerline distance between the spring hanger bolts at the trailing arms?

Ralphy:sos:

This is approximate but it looks like 46 3/4 inches.

The center to center of the trailing arm front pivot bolt pockets is 44 3/8

Thanks BB, looks like mine is narrowed. I see about 42.500 here. I saw a tubular arm with a spherical ball I liked. I'm also looking at coil overs. I saw a post by Twin Turbo where he tried to build his own coil over trailing arms. He talked about the arm flexing, and it brought me to think. Why not use twin camber rods and maybe even saddle the shock in between the two if possible?

Ralphy

Measure the halfshaft lengths center to center of the u joints, that'll tell if it's shortened or not. There are only 2 sizes.

Twin camber rods is what guldstrand has, the toe is set by adjusting the front amber rod in relation to the rear one. For adequate "finesse" in adjusting they do need to be spaced apart about 7 inches or so.

You can NOT saddle the shock between the 2 because they don't both travel the same arc. If there is any yaw (rolling) in the hub you have a problem. The only way to do it would be to have parallel trailing links with IC @ infinite to keep the hub straight throughout susp. travel. Then the 2 camber rods would remain parallel all the time.

You can see the problem here, for a trailing link i used a std. trailing arm but the result is similar for a set of non parallel rods that have an IC and as such a virtual swing arm

24b2e03fdc13d3.jpg

Think I follow you, with two camber rods the toe will change differently then with the single, causing a bind with the trailing arm. The trailing arm need to be able to pitch 360 degrees.

Last edited:
No, the toe will change depending on the 2 rods, you said mounting the coil over on those rods, which can't be done if they move different from each other.