Power door lock help

RJ80

Does anyone know the wiring schematic for the power door locks on an 1980. I purchased a used harness and was able to locate the factory 3-prong connectors on each side of the dash for the gray-tan-orange wires, but there are two other wires (one pink and one purple) on the passenger side harness (I believe the passenger side has the two black grounds?) that are a mystery. I believe the gray and tan wires go to the door lock and the orange is +12v. Any help would be appreciated.

The letters that I have written in are on the connectors. If your switches are original do yourself a favor (unless they work perfect) and buy 2 new ones at Advanced or Zone or Orileys for about $16 each- Help#49241. The system works by reversing the power and the ground and it can be a real bitch to diagnose problems.
Edit- The colors in this pic are what you have described but they are not correct for an 80. The easiest way is to go by the letters. If you are mating unlike colors let me know what you have and I should be able to help.
79powerdoorlock.jpg

Last edited:
The letters that I have written in are on the connectors. If your switches are original do yourself a favor (unless they work perfect) and buy 2 new ones at Advanced or Zone or Orileys for about $16 each- Help#49241. The system works by reversing the power and the ground and it can be a real bitch to diagnose problems.
Edit- The colors in this pic are what you have described but they are not correct for an 80. The easiest way is to go by the letters. If you are mating unlike colors let me know what you have and I should be able to help.
79powerdoorlock.jpg

The colors look right (at least they match the door lock wiring harnesses I bought) and the dash harness has the tan/grey/orange connectors on each side that will plug into the connectors on the lock harness. I bought lock harnesses used on ebay so I have no idea what year they actually came from. I will get new switches as I am installing power locks on a car that did not have them. I will check everything over and see how it matches up. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

I'll be tossing out that crap from an 81 when I get to painting the doors. If you need the solenoids they're yours for the shipping. Anything else in there you can use?

I'll be tossing out that crap from an 81 when I get to painting the doors. If you need the solenoids they're yours for the shipping. Anything else in there you can use?

Thank you for your offer. I believe I have everything to make it work. The wiring harnesses are not in great shape, but I think they can be salvaged. I hope to have it all working within the next few weeks, but If you pull it apart before then I would definitely be interested in the switch retainers and wiring harnesses.