New Guys I've sent over

GTR1999

Gearhead
I've been sending guys here because some other place is pulling my answers to their questions off because of vendors complaining about me. If you are new member with a question please post in the rebuilding page and I'll answer them the best I can, freedom of speech is still alive here.

Somehow I'm not surprised.

Gary, the only reason other vendors would be pissed is because you are showing people the right way to do things. You are the gold standard.

The crap that is out there that is supposed to be "rebuilt" and is nothing more than a clean up and paint job troubles me. Restoring/rebuilding these cars is a hobby and the people involved are looked at (by some vendors) as targets for the quick buck. That's taking advantage of their trust and, to me, is the lowest form of dishonesty.

maybe it`s time to become "exclusive" at VM.......if the management at those other forums don`t appreciate you F-them.....

Thanks for the support guys.

There are a lot of guys new to these cars that go to other sites not knowing about this site yet. I've seen too many people get burnt when trying to get work done. This is not new, I was a victim myself at 18 with my 67. I guess that's one reason I do what I do, that and the fact some places get by with lousy work and a lot of advertising.

This site and DC I'll post info and support. The other known site I only answer questions, again to help those new guys out. If I post a procedure on doing something over there, like setting up rear brg's, it's deleted. I will say to all be very careful with some of the work offered by some of those "vendors" if you read carefully the posts many othes put up you'll see a pattern of lousy work that is unbelievable. Slop in bearings, Slop in boxes, diff's problems, ujoint issues, ball joint and kit problems, and poor service. The best thing I've seen is someone thanking a vendor for great service replacing a lousy job he just bought. He should have just said "thank you for screwing me the first time around"

Ok enough of my venting, there are plenty of stories but that's not the major concern here.

Although I haven't actually used any of your "papers" Gary (yet??) I have read through a couple and found them very informative and generally easy to follow, even though I don't have a part sat in front of me.

It took me bloody hours to write that bit about pc'ing so I can appreciate the amount of time and effort you put into your posts - prick of a thing to then have them deleted.

I'd sure as shit rather take your information over some wanker who's just out to take my money...

Although I haven't actually used any of your "papers" Gary (yet??) I have read through a couple and found them very informative and generally easy to follow, even though I don't have a part sat in front of me.

It took me bloody hours to write that bit about pc'ing so I can appreciate the amount of time and effort you put into your posts - prick of a thing to then have them deleted.

I'd sure as shit rather take your information over some wanker who's just out to take my money...

I worked on that diff rebuild paper of mine for several weeks - I think it was like 50 pages long in microsoft word:bonkers:. Yeah, its a joke over on the other forum - I got shit pulled becasue I recommended Gary and Mike. I have to send PM's to people now to recommend them, because the vendors are complaining. Here are a few examples of me being screwed over...

Well, here is one experience with a vendor in Florida. I bought a used pinion flange from them, and received it in the mail. The entire thing was painted, even the seal area and the splines! So I sandblasted it all off, then look what I found...

image108.jpg

image106.jpg

Yes, they replaced it once I showed them the pics. But that isn't the point - how on earth could they let this kind of crap leave their building? They knew it was shit, and if it wasn't for my knowledge of differentials, I would have installed it and used it. They wanted to see if I would tell the difference I guess. The next one they sent me in the mail was good, but the splines and pinion seal area was still painted! That's how they install their pinion flanges I guess. I asked them why they painted it like that, and they said for rust prevention :bullshit:. Why not just use oil for rust prevention...how do you think shipments from china to USA prevent rust...OIL!

Here's another one - a used cross shaft. It was worn under 2 thou and the yokes had ground away the center of the shaft. They gave me a credit, but that still isn't the point...they tried to pull a fast one on me, and with my knowledge, I nailed them:1st:

DSC02543.jpg

DSC02544.jpg

DSC02545.jpg

Okay, here's another one. I bought offset arms from the same vendor, and installed them on the chassis. I tested out how the poly bushings were working, then pulled them out to see what was going on. I noticed that the washers were now really warped and one of the bushing cups was being pushed out of the arm. So I took the bushing off to see what was wrong. Get a load of this - I was able to tap my bushing cups out with a few small taps of a hammer. And this was with the powdercoating still inside the hole...Once I removed the powdercoating (which is thick stuff), I was able to wiggle the cups in side to side and there was play, what a joke. They said they always press their cups in , yeah right. There arms have terrible quality control, and I have to modify them to make them fit. My frame pockets are in prefect condition. The bushing cups didn't even meet up in the middle when I pulled the cups out - there was an 1/8'' gap, which is total crap. I am installing rubber bushings in the arms right now as well as in the struts rods, as they are not good for twisting action. How do they expect their bushing cups to sit flat and fully press in all the way when it looks like this...

DSC03245.jpg

The lip of the cups extends above this surface (you can see on the left of the picture where the piece of pipe is below the surface of the metal), and they do not sit flat when pressed in, yet they still installed them? I am still working on them, but they will be done properly this time. I don't install crap on my vette, and I never will.

Last edited:
At the "other sites" the vendors are paying the bills with their money.... just trying to be realistic, if this site continues to grow I would expect maintenance becoming expensive.... guess it comes down to either paying a membership fee or becoming a slave to those who pay the bills....

I'd love to buy some of that "rebuilt" stuff and then tear it apart, examine and post the detailed results of that inspection.... unfortunately it's going to cost a few $$$ ...

Gary, keep contributing as you do. Many have learned from your posts (like me).... THANK YOU :beer:

:withstupid: yes that is how things go, at some point money has to start coming in and advertising or supporting vendors is the way to do it without introducing a membership fee.

All of the "rebuilt" stuff I've taken apart...well when it comes to steering boxes, they ALL used the stock grooved bushings so basically it was just some new seals, some grease and a respray. I have 3 or 4 of them here.