Calling 69427

big2bird

Charter Member, Founder Bird-Run, Cruise-In Bird-R
How about that tach drive/HEI conversion thread? I would be very interested in seeing how you did that.:drink:

I'm amused at your timing. I was just sitting down in the garage yesterday pulling an HEI distributor apart to do some dimensional measurements for some future conversion projects. I've converted several old points distributors (my '69 and a buddy's '72 Corvettes included) to HEI electronics using an extruded reluctor wheel and pickup coil hardware package that I used to buy from a speed shop in San Angelo,Texas, and then wiring things up to an HEI control module. I tried to contact that speed shop several months ago to get some more parts, but it appears that they are no longer in business, hence my Plan B.
I'm currently building a new engine for the '69, so I'll be pulling the distributor out in the near future and posting some pictures of the original Plan A configuration.

INteresting project, I"m theorizing something similar in a way, using a Ford crank position sensor, and getting a machine shop to index 4 holes into the crank pulley, use that for the timing signal....simple 2 wire shielded into the dizzy .....

:drink:

INteresting project, I"m theorizing something similar in a way, using a Ford crank position sensor, and getting a machine shop to index 4 holes into the crank pulley, use that for the timing signal....simple 2 wire shielded into the dizzy .....

:drink:

Gene, if you do that, please start a thread on it. I assume you've got a 'scope to check out the waveform from that system. I'd be interested in what kind of signal that puts out.

Bird,

Do you know if the points breaker plate is the same on all (or most all) eight cylinder Delco distributors, including the Vette tach drive models? Next time I'm at the junkyard I was going to pick up a cheap distributor to take apart to do some measurements, and compare those to the HEI distributors I have in the garage to see what's possible to update, modify, or transplant.

thanks,
Mike

Bird,

Do you know if the points breaker plate is the same on all (or most all) eight cylinder Delco distributors, including the Vette tach drive models? Next time I'm at the junkyard I was going to pick up a cheap distributor to take apart to do some measurements, and compare those to the HEI distributors I have in the garage to see what's possible to update, modify, or transplant.

thanks,
Mike

Mike, I never spotted any differences when I had the tach drive points unit in my '72 here, just the shafts/gear set....the head all looked the same to me....

I going to stick a old HEI on the scope today, and get some waveforms, spin that dude with a drill, and check across the reluctor signal wires...that white and green ones going to the chip....
then in line with another post....fire up a suitable sending unit, to spin past the FORD sending units....and compare signals there....either one is nothing but a magnet with a coil, should be close enough, only thing to change would be turns and therefore coil output....waveforms should be identical, I would think....

:noworry::friends:

Bird,

thanks,
Mike

I don't have one here to check, and never thought to check. I suspect they are, but do not know. I DO know that a used tach drive shaft that just has a bad gear WILL fit a non-tach drive dizzy of the same period.:)