Old style capillary temp sender

big2bird

Charter Member, Founder Bird-Run, Cruise-In Bird-R
Anybody know how to loosen a stuck capillary bulb without jacking it up. 1938 GM.:hissyfit:

I always use stuff called rust off ice, it chills it down quickly and has a penetrating agent. If it won't come loose that way it's time to destroy it LOL

I always use stuff called rust off ice, it chills it down quickly and has a penetrating agent. If it won't come loose that way it's time to destroy it LOL

BTDT too......I remember one time, I was fighting some exhaust mani bolt, and for some odd reason some dry ice was available, to I used some of that, instead of the refr ice....tell you what....talk of instant reaction....must have been something to do with fishing trip and some guys showing up cooler full of ice....

I remember the shit smoking like mad in the summer heat/humidity, and hearing a BOINK/CLICK and that bolt came out like it was in there brand new...

:hissyfit:

The packing nut came right out. It's the capillary bulb that is stuck. I am reluctant to try heat, as the gauge works. However, if I cannot get it out, I have to pull the temp and fuel gauge seperatley, a job better suited on the bench.:hissyfit:I'll keep soaking it. I might try air pressure in the block drain to pop it out, but that might blow the radiator/water pump seals. Arghh.

Never heard of it. I guess ice might help. That shouldn't hurt it.(I hope).:skeptic:

penetrating freezing spray, should be available from a hardware store

i think you need to figure out what metals are involved.....to determine the solvent to use.....is it a copper bulb in a brass sleeve? or is it the water jacket sediment having it stuck in place?

i think you need to figure out what metals are involved.....to determine the solvent to use.....is it a copper bulb in a brass sleeve? or is it the water jacket sediment having it stuck in place?

Brass bulb in cast iron. I believe it's the water jacket sludge that is holding it in.

i agree.....so how about something that has some acid in it.....like vinegar.....can you pressure wash the water jacket in the block in that area?.....so its stuck because of rust and probably casting sludge......i bet any good water jacket cleaner would be a good start.... i bets it stuck becasue every thing has sealed up around it. i doubt its sticking to the brass

can you get a high pressure wand in the vincity through a radiator hose?