Midwest Quake

Bullshark

This morning, my butt was shaken out of bed by a 5.4 quake. :shocking: First thing I did was high tail it out to the garage hoping my four post lift didn't let the blue 69 come crashing down on Project Ramjet. :smash:
Happy to report all is well. :thumbs:

Maybe stacking those things isn't such a good idea :clobbered:

Bullshark

An earthquake in Mo :eek: well they have always said another one could hit along the eastern border sometime,is the Mississippi still running the right way :search:

This morning, my butt was shaken out of bed by a 5.4 quake. :shocking: First thing I did was high tail it out to the garage hoping my four post lift didn't let the blue 69 come crashing down on Project Ramjet. :smash:
Happy to report all is well. :thumbs:

Maybe stacking those things isn't such a good idea :clobbered:

Bullshark

As a person experienced in quakes, a 4 post is fine. A 2 post would bother me. My friend Bob stacks them on a 2 post, and I have told him many times he is nuts.;)

Damn, we just had another one ........felt smaller though! :rain:

Bullshark

Aftershock. That's a good thing. Relieves stress preventing a larger one. You will have many in decreasing magnatude.

That last one you had was 4.6....go to USGS site for more info....

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/eqcenter/recenteqsww/

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/eqcenter/recenteqsww/Quakes/us2008qzbw.php

OH,and THIS is interesting:

"The New Madrid Earthquake, one of the largest earthquakes ever recorded in the contiguous United States, occurred on February 7, 1812. It got its name from its primary location in the New Madrid Seismic Zone, near New Madrid, Louisiana Territory (now Missouri).

This earthquake was preceded by three other major quakes: two on December 16, 1811, and one on January 23, 1812. These earthquakes destroyed approximately half the town of New Madrid. There were also numerous aftershocks in the area for the rest of that winter.

There are estimates that the earthquakes were felt strongly over 50,000 square miles (130,000 km²), and moderately across nearly one million square miles. The historic San Francisco earthquake of 1906, by comparison, was felt moderately over 6,000 square miles (16,000 km²)."

Rich

Last edited:
Hey Rich, what are trying to do? Scare the chit out of me.:eek: Sounds like the big one is still ahead, if history is any indication. :sos: :gurney:

Bullshark

Naw....New Madrid is supposed to have a periodicity of 600 years +/-, so you've got a 400 year statistical cushion. I study these things...our fault out here is much more active...

Rich

Yep, we have it all. They burn the grass in the fall, big thunderstorms that make hail the size of softballs, tornadoes, and now earthquakes. All we need now is a swarm of locusts. It'll be the 4 Horsemen of the Apocalypse.. :goodnight:

My dog went nuts at exactly 4:25 this morning... HAD to get outside RIGHT NOW!!! I guess he felt it! He has never done that before...:huh2:

My dog went nuts at exactly 4:25 this morning... HAD to get outside RIGHT NOW!!! I guess he felt it! He has never done that before...:huh2:

Dogs can hear the approaching "K" waves. A subsonic rumble that precedes the ground energy. We use that for elevator safety shut down interlocks.

I was in Jacksonville yesterday...I thought I felt the quake start there:bump:

DAMN man, I coulda got off the can long enuff to say hello anyway....

or you at the airport just passing thru?? that's easy 30 min at 80 mph other side of town....actually need cruise at 90....

:trumpet:

Dogs can hear the approaching "K" waves. A subsonic rumble that precedes the ground energy. We use that for elevator safety shut down interlocks.
:sos::sos::stirpot:

SAY WHAT??? splain yourself Lucy...

:crylol: