4L60E Transmission Filter

BBShark

Garage Monkey
Staff member
I am changing the trans valve body on the 4L60E in my 97 Tahoe. So I head to NAPA for a new filter and they ask me if the pan is 2 1/8 deep or 2 7/8 deep. I measured it from the flange to the bottom of the pan and I get 2 1/2, right dead in the middle!

Anyone know how to measure this?

I am changing the trans valve body on the 4L60E in my 97 Tahoe. So I head to NAPA for a new filter and they ask me if the pan is 2 1/8 deep or 2 7/8 deep. I measured it from the flange to the bottom of the pan and I get 2 1/2, right dead in the middle!

Anyone know how to measure this?

Just take the filter in to match. I believe the 4WD uses the deep pan.

Speeking of this tranny, I just had mine serviced. The pan was full of clutch material. Looks like a rebuild is in my near future. :crap:

I was going to get the filter before I dropped the pan. The last time I did this, I was covered in tranny fluid!

I was going to get the filter before I dropped the pan. The last time I did this, I was covered in tranny fluid!

IMO, trannies get fluid/filter about zero in their lifetime, OR every ~50k miles or so....chunks in the pan are death, just black sludge is not good, but not necessarily immediate death either....more on the fluid color....

I get one of them Lowes Depot concrete mixing pans for about ten bux.....and let it down easy into one of them.....removing all the bolts except one on one end, and two on the other.... loosen the two a tad, then remove the one to let the pan hang from the other end, and drain easy....zap the two out, and it's a done deal.....

doing that large concrete pan thing, usually only leaves about 1/2 on the floor....

:stirpot::stirpot:

but seriously, it gets it all if you slo and careful....

but they you get to slip the pan outta your hands and spill it all on the ground instead of your container......:harhar:

DONT ASK.....

:suicide:

buy both and return the one you don't need :beer:

I replaced the filter in my Z28 tranny three years ago, I think it did not have the deep pan.

If the pan is flat on the bottom, it is the 2 1/8.
If it is stepped, it is the 2 7/8 deep pan.
Sounds like the deep one.

While it's off, do this.
Great for the next time.

Drain.jpg

remember that sometimes the tube part of the filterthat goes in the collar gets left in there from previous filter cleanings so if the new part doesnt fit right double check that