Holley's new EFI

Have you guys seen this yet?
Holley just released info on their new line of EFI products at this years SEMA. Dont know many details. Supposed to be available Jan, Feb 2010 and priced competitive with FAST XFI with more capability. Here is their web brochure

http://www.holley.com/HolleyEFIBrochure/

Bullshark

My only issue with that is, they probably wanting some 2 grand+ just for the computers/electronics....then the optional screens and all that shit....

which for China made electronics at about 5% of the complexity of a desktop computer, let alone a 400 buck laptop.....I have to wonder.....
:shocking:

Doesn;t seem so bad. I looked over the HP EFI system due to it being more for engine management and can be used on LSx's. However, it was speed density and seemed rather similar to Accel DFI VIII.

Seems like a solid option, but I do question it's tuning capability. If that's not a concern then all the better.

Hasn't it been out for a while? I couldn't tell you where I found the info. I looked it up for a college project back in '06. Maybe it was the VII I saw info on? I could have sworn it was the VIII.

And you link doesn't seem to want to work for me...

You were right, Accel must have had it down, seems to work now though???

You had to be thinking of the Gen VII, The Gen VIII has not been released yet. Nothing wrong with speed density. I prefer it to other approaches. Yes auto program is a challenge. You have to make sure you don't distort the tune with transient fueling like acceleration, ECT etc. But it can be done. I like what I see from the Holley brochure. You can leverage the best of both worlds. Initial auto tune with the ability to optimize to your hearts content for us engineer perfectionists....:D

Looks promising. I'm kinda surprised they support the throttle by wire LSx system.

I imagine it's kinda $pendy. Anyone know the cost?

Looks promising. I'm kinda surprised they support the throttle by wire LSx system.

I imagine it's kinda . Anyone know the cost?

Larry
Doug F down at Holley indicates it will be cost competitive with FAST XFI. Which I interperet to mean roughly $1.5k for ECU and wire harness.

We're good now. It kept telling me the link did not exist? Could be the meat bag behind the monitor screwing up the link...

I must have read on the VII then. Because it wasn't that hard to find info.

Nothing wrong with speed density is correct. So far, I like the idea of a MAF. I feel the approximation is a little more user friendly. But a good SD tuner will give just as good results a good MAF tuner. It's all personal preference.

Keep in mind this is all relevant to the holley kit on an LS1, not an SBC:
The only thing I didn't like is I really didn't see an advantage to this over, say, a stock LS1 comp and a program like EfiLive or HP Tuners. The stock comp gives your basic tune, and as far as I've seen, GM wrote a really good base tune for the LS1. The ECU is also a good unit because a lot guys keep their comp after many upgrades instead of turning to the aftermarket. They obviously retune it, though.

For someone without the option of getting a stock harness and ECU and/or is cost prohibitive to get one, this could be a solid product.

Let's see what people think of it. I'm glad more people are considering efi over carb enough for a decent market to form.

But a good SD tuner will give just as good results a good MAF tuner. It's all personal preference.

Don't :cussing: me out! But I respectfully disagree. SD can give you a much better tune if you know what you are doing. MAF sensors are not exact have an error that limit your precision.

Keep in mind this is all relevant to the holley kit on an LS1, not an SBC:
The only thing I didn't like is I really didn't see an advantage to this over, say, a stock LS1 comp and a program like EfiLive or HP Tuners. The stock comp gives your basic tune, and as far as I've seen, GM wrote a really good base tune for the LS1. The ECU is also a good unit because a lot guys keep their comp after many upgrades instead of turning to the aftermarket. They obviously retune it, though.

You and Gene (mrvette) make a good team. :stirpot::D There are many advantages to the aftermarket products that make it well worth the $$$ IMHO. More than I have time to list right now. Wideband O2 to name just one. Yes, if you just want to control a stock LS1 then by all means the GM's ECU is an excellent choice. If you do a detail cost breakdown of what it would take to get even near the capability of these latest aftermarket ECUs using EFIlive or HPTuners I think you will find the cost is closer than you think.
Peace, just my belief. Your car your money your time :beer:

Bullshark

Last edited:
Oh I'm going to curse you out! Not really, it's all good.

Yes, but there is error in SD calcs as well. Which one has less? Don't know the GM engineer that made the decision to go MAF how could potentially answer that. I believe Pratt and Miller still uses MAF's in the C6R and I'm sure they're more than capable of doing an SD tune. With that being said, I may go SD if I go turbo.

But that is neither hither nor thither. I think we'll just have to agree to disagree...

As far as base tune goes, I highly doubt Holley has a program as well thought out as GM's (keep in mind, still talking only LSx here). Also, all good closed loop computers adjust to driving conditions and are 'self tuning'. How well, depends on how well the base tune was done.

Now let's talk off base tune and into upgrades. This is where I do agree the Holley catches up in cost. After the stock ECU, engine harness I still have to buy tuning software (which had data logging internal). I'm not positive on this, but I believe both efilive and hp tuners have wideband O2 readings in the data. In fact, I'm pretty sure all closed loop ECU's require that to close the loop (thinking out loud). Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.
So to tally, I would need a stock ECU (~$250), stock harness (~$200), parts to convert to stand alone harness assuming this is going in a C3 (~$100), hp tuners (~$500) and a wideband O2 gauge just in case the above isn't true (~$200) = ~$1,250. So, like we agreed, it is close.
The final area is tune-ability. Now this is tough and a judgment call. I've heard great and terrible things about all UI's in different tuning programs. Don't know what holley is like, nor efilive or hp tuners. I know hp tuners and efilive are extensive with what you can tweak. Not sure about holley. Also, I do like how holley can act as a boost controller. That's fancy.

If I had to buy all of those parts separate and I didn't loose any tune-ability, I would seriously consider holley, but mine came with my drop out Ls1/T56. In the long run, it's all what you get the warm and fuzzy thinking about.

THE thing that stops me is the cost effectivness of `1500 bux+ of software and hardware.....which don't include induction.....injectors, rails, pumps...etc....
:shocking::shocking::pprrtt: