38 Buick rewire

big2bird

Charter Member, Founder Bird-Run, Cruise-In Bird-R
I am replacing the wiring loom in a friends 38 Buick. The car is remaining 6 volt, as it has never been an issue. However, he would like a hidden modern stereo. Anybody know any options?
I have found a 6-12 converter, but I do not know how reliable they are.

hey Bird, what about using a Mp3 player (ipod) or something similar. Then get you a 6v stereo audio power amp. Surely there is one of those somewhere? USB power adapters for MP3 usually require min 9v input, (output 4.7 to 5.25v)but maybe someone could design a simple 6v to 5v regulator if you don't want to depend on the MP3 internal battery only.
Just a thought

Bullshark

The 6v to 12v converter would have to provide sufficient power (watts) to drive the stereo output amplifiers. Dont know for sure but that may be a challenge for off the shelf converters

Last edited:
A buddy has a couple of old cars and did the converter setup. I believe he had some charging issue and/or noise. His fix is a separate 12v battery in the trunk that he hooks to a trickle charger when the car is in the garage.

The owner must be mighty old to care about retaining 6 volts.....I think it's silly....I"d stick a alternator and wire that sucker right....

museums are full of old cars....maybe as well have fun with it, so to do it right....

:shocking::hissyfit:

A buddy has a couple of old cars and did the converter setup. I believe he had some charging issue and/or noise. His fix is a separate 12v battery in the trunk that he hooks to a trickle charger when the car is in the garage.

That';s probably the easiest solution. No muss, no fuss, and no dead 6v battery after a show.:noworry:

The owner must be mighty old to care about retaining 6 volts.....I think it's silly....I"d stick a alternator and wire that sucker right....

museums are full of old cars....maybe as well have fun with it, so to do it right....

Gene, he drives it to work once a week, and it's never failed him. It's more fun and unique original.
The largest problem/issue wiith a 6v system I have found over 40 years of messing with them is GOOD CONNECTIONS.

Gene, he drives it to work once a week, and it's never failed him. It's more fun and unique original.
The largest problem/issue wiith a 6v system I have found over 40 years of messing with them is GOOD CONNECTIONS.

YOU know good as me, double the voltage 1/2 the current across any given conductor/or NOT, and you have 1/2 the voltage drop....drop 1 volt off 6 and you got a disaster....drop one volt off 12 and you got nothing to worry about....as you know, maybe not quite that way, but written for others not so electrical....

which is why when I heard of the switch from 6 to 12 years ago, what?? 50 years now?? I thought at the time, they should have gone to 24 or even 48 volts, military gear....

I did hear something about them maybe going to 32? volts....

:gurney::drink: