ECM Question

theafus

I am in the process of changing out my digital dash for a set of VDO Gauges the speedometer is electronic and programmable so I can program it to read the stock sin waves but do I need to get a calibrater box for the signal back to the factory ECM since it controls torque converter lockup and shifting or is there another eay to get around this. It is an 84 with the crossfire intact

I still have my '87 books, so if someone who knows more off top of their head don't get on here, PM me, and I can scratch around looking....

I suspect, but dunno for sure, that those digitall dashes were all the same....

:beer::shocking:

Isn't the VSS signal sent to the ECM and the ECM controls lockup (along with some other inputs like TPS)?

Isn't the VSS signal sent to the ECM and the ECM controls lockup (along with some other inputs like TPS)?

That is the way my stockish speed density system is set up, but I don't remember what the '87/earlier? VSS system went to first...if that sender went to the cluster first or not....the 1227730 computer I have has a TTL level output off the VSS buffer, that goes to whatever, including the cruise control...now if that was on a '84 or not, I dunno...

:rain:

my car doesnt have the cruise control unfortunetly I will just wire in a stand alone unit I was thinking the ecm would get the signal first and then send it to the speedo in the digital dash but not sure just trying to cover all my bases and find out if I need one of the calibraters to send the correct signal back to the ECM or not thanks for the help so far guys.