Head Gaskets

turtlevette

The Turdle
i just had a Felpro Permatorque fire ring split out radially (not blown out) and previously have had a generic gasket fire ring completely blow out with these L-98 heads. Heads were concave and had to be shaved each time.

i've seen MLS; embossed multi-layered steel for around 100 ea, copper gaskets and such some of them running up to $200 ea. I don't mind spending money on a gasket because it's very important, but are these extreme duty gaskets made for street use.? Will they hold the pressure of the cooling system? I'm sick of tearing this thing down.

i bought the .051 ZZ3 gasket from the dealership part no. 12557236, they ripped me off and charged me $50 each for an $18 gasket. It is stamped VR and looks to be graphite colored (coated).

But i'll set these aside if there is something a lot better.

Last edited:
VR (Victor Reintz) seem to be the thinnest gaskets you can use with aluminum heads.... i bought MrGasket in .028" thick... they work fine, no leaks....

From what you're desribing it sounds like a cooling problem to me... how did you connect (or bypass) the heater hoses ?

you use a cheapo head gasket on a 30 thousand dollar engine?

That's the very one i'm speaking of that the fire ring split out.

the guy that rebuilt the motor does development work for Fel-Pro.......it`s safe to assume he used what he felt was best for the application...I will tell you this, I own a stack of GM oil pan gaskets (the good ones with the metal strip)....he wouldn`t use them, had to have a one piece Fel-Pro.
redvetracr

Try Cometic gaskets around 100 apiece. Suposedly the 2nd best. They are all mls for aluminum heads.

After you get the surfaces straight again and the ra proper (btw Cometic allows the roughest finish), have you considered ARP studs???

FYI, in airplane circles, it is well known that head gaskets on aluminum heads WILL fail, it is just a matter of WHEN.