Locked up power steering pump ??

MYBAD79

I have a Flaming River manual rack on my Mustang and the previous owner installed a shorter serpentine belt and just did not run it to the PS pump pulley. The tensioner pulley is now riding on the grooved side of the belt instead of the smooth side.
The PS pump is disconnected and there's no fluid in it so I tried to use the PS pulley with the correct size serpentine belt.

Does the PS fluid lubricate/cool the pulley bearing ?? I expected the pulley bearing to be greased and sealed .... well... appearently not, the pump locked up after less than five minutes :cussing::cussing:

This is a standard Ford pump (Mustang) - any idea if it can be gutted (remove the pump part) so that I can use the pulley ??

Easier to just replace that idler pulley...NO, they make with grooves and of course smooth...hell, I got one here with grooves in it....

I can get you the numbers off it...hang on a sec....DAYCO 00032 is the idler off the BPP airpump eliminator kit pulley....almost 4" diameter and 6? rib belt...the wide on on a C4 anyway...

:cool:

I might just replace the idler pulley, it's only $15 at the Zone.... it seems to last like 10000 miles with this setup so that's $30 once a year for a new pulley and a belt... less work than messing with this stupid pump :amused:

I'm curious why the pump locked up, it did not make noise like the bearing seized

Thanks for the offers but with the manual rack I don't need a pump. I was trying to use the pump pulley so I can use a stock size belt.
I replaced the chewed up plastic tensioner pulley with a metal pully - so far so good, everything is good for now....

Does Ford use a Saginaw pump? The shaft runs all the way thru on those so with no oil, it will cook it.

I think for now I fixed it :smash:

I installed a bigger idler pulley to get a little more tension on the belt:

214af6c8a88beb1.jpg

Unfortunately the pump is toast. I'll see if I can disassemble it and use the pulley without the pump so that I can use a stock size belt and the original setup:

214af6c8a83195b.jpg