Drag radials all the way around

496BBC

Is there any reason you can't run drag radials all the way around?

Need tires and would like to have all matching,

If they are good for grip, wouldn't they also be good on the front to.

Just curious

Neal

Is there any reason you can't run drag radials all the way around?

Need tires and would like to have all matching,

If they are good for grip, wouldn't they also be good on the front to.

Just curious

Neal

In theory they would be great, but it depends on the use. On the front the tires could rub the frame, so size would be an issue. That aside, on a dry smooth surface they would provide the traction you have in mind, but add some water and you need to slow down. What traction benefit gained during dry conditions is inversely proportional to what was gained. This is a serious problem with some and not as bad with other brands. Nitto drag radials are better in rain than MT, but some would say the Nitto's don't hook as well on a dry surface. For street use with varing surfaces and driving conditions, drag radials are not the best choice and can be dangerous IMO, but I like your thinking! I drive to the track all the time on drag radials. Among race buddy's doing the same thing, we have shared some interesting stories about DR's in rain.

Thanks for the input Red,

I don't put many miles on my car and most of the miles are in town. I hardly ever drive in the rain but it does happen.

The drag radials are really to get some use of first gear, the question about using them on the front was to keep the tires matching. The extra grip on the front would more than likely hardly get used.

Neal

I should have also said, I only use DR's on the back and the tread life is much less than on a pair of street tires. In addition, the extra traction will cost you more per tire.

I would not expect these drag radials to be able to take a lot of side loading during cornering.... one of the local guys here i O-town is running 295-50 front and 325-50 DR rear... he described the cornering quality as a 3200lbs marshmallow....:shocking:

Cornering was my first thought as well. Drag radials are meant to be straight line only and have weak sidewalls for a better hook. Side loads are not their specialty.

Nitto 555R is just a performance radial with an extra tread belt to stabilize the tread at low inflation pressures.... I run them all 'round on a 3000lb car even auto-x on them....
I checked with Nitto first and they said go for it just use tire pressues that are appropriate for what you are doing....

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3092249457833028510&hl=en#

Last edited: