Older tires....

mrvette

Phantom of the Opera
Anyone with some serious hardball evidence that 5 years+ on tires with no obvious defects have a really higher failure rate on the road??

:bonkers:

Anyone with some serious hardball evidence that 5 years+ on tires with no obvious defects have a really higher failure rate on the road??

:bonkers:

Well, I had 13 year old TAs. Broke both front belts under hard braking.

The TAs I have now are 6 years old and doing just fine.

TAs?? not sure right this second.....anyway, steel belted radials...

truck tires is more my concern for now....that old camper I working on...

I've got the BFG Raidal T/A tires I took off of Ol' Red- installed in 1974. Tread is perfect, tires look great, but they are harder than blue steel. I think I could let all the air out and they'd look normal.

It probably depends upon your environment and the UV but here in the Mojave, Las Vegas, We get really apprehensive on tires older than about five years. Particularly if they've been setting. Not so much if they've been in use...

the only scientific evidence I have are the 5 trailer tires that have been replaced because of blowouts and the partial refund I got back from Goodyear....

I just took 8 year old tires (245-45-17) off my Mustang...rear axle.... even with the whooping 105HP power plant I had no traction whatsoever....

When I bought my '73 about 18 months ago, the tires looked brand new and only had about 5,000 miles. Problem was they were 11 years old. Made me nervous and I started doing some research. There was an old thread on CF that detailed a lot of problems including failures that folks have had with older tires. I ended up talking to a retired tire engineer who gave me some good advice. He said older tires generally look better than they really are. Sometimes tires tend to rot from the inside due to moisture inside the tires. Sun is a major factor as well in weakening the tires. His recommendation was no more than 5 years for tires that see a lot of sunshine and 7 years for tires that spend a lot of time in the garage out of the elements. He shared a story with me about some college kids that put some new tires on a minivan prior to a road trip. They had a blowout, rolled the van and died. They had bought "brand new" tires from a service station but the reality was the tires were 5 years old and had been sitting on an outdoor rack in full sun for those 5 years. I think this same story was in one of the threads on CF. Bottom line - don't chance old tires. It's not worth it.

DC

100_0375.jpg

I made my own tire coveres,since thay sit outside,only takes a min to cover/uncover em.
The shingles & mud flaps keep the ground moisture off also.

Last edited:
This doesn't help tires that are already old, but... One of the things people are doing to get longer life out of their tires is using nitrogen vs. air in them. Nitrogen runs cooler, leaches far less than air and doesn't hold the moisture air does (some of the reasons aircraft have used nitrogen in their tires). You can ususally get this done at dealers for about $20.

I've done this to both my Tahoe and vette and I can certainly tell the difference with wear!

Just went to get a flat rerpaired and the children at the tire store told me they couldn't fix it because it was more than six years old.

The way the Lawyers have foisted so many new rules on society I'm freakin glad I'll be checking out in a while. So Damned sick of government in my life!:bomb:

BTW, Do you think our terms "lawyers" derives from the Old English for Liars? As in, "Arrr, I'll be fine. Got me Liars on the job..."

Just went to get a flat rerpaired and the children at the tire store told me they couldn't fix it because it was more than six years old.

The way the Lawyers have foisted so many new rules on society I'm freakin glad I'll be checking out in a while. So Damned sick of government in my life!:bomb:

BTW, Do you think our terms "lawyers" derives from the Old English for Liars? As in, "Arrr, I'll be fine. Got me Liars on the job..."

I ran into that at the chain stores here...they won't touch any tire older than 5-6 years....only the independent stores would....

I plug my own tires, it's stupid already....

:crap:

I made my own tire coveres,since thay sit outside,only takes a min to cover/uncover em.

I wrap my air filter in one of these huge WalMart bags to keep all that dust and dirt off.... :bump:

I wrap my air filter in one of these huge WalMart bags to keep all that dust and dirt off.... :bump:

That would be a computer problem....starts but won't stay running.....:rofl::rofl:

Wonder what the code on that mofo would be?? some cartoon of two hands choking the shit outta someone???

When I bought my '79 it had pretty much been sitting for 2 years. Guy drove it maybe 4 times around the block in those two years.
After 80 miles on the highway both rears had fist size bulges on them.

Wifey had a blow out one time in my just purchased '86 BMW 735i
Tires looked brand new but I had missed the hairline cracking on the sidewall.

I'm not going to risk old tires again.

See, it always takes me two times before I listen..:tomato: