6.0L LS platform truck motor.

SCCA VETTE

Has anybody had any experoence with the 6.0L motor? I have been looking at a engine swap this winter and it looks like the 6L is a good cheap option and can get some good HP numbers with 1/2 the cost of a LS motor.

Just curious if anybody has played around with these or not.

They are supposedly are a great alternative and create very similar numbers equally equipped (6.0 iron truck vs. LS2 both having the same acc/intake/cam). You swap one in just like you do any other LSx, however, the truck intake and acc may not fit in your vette. I know they don't in a C3. If the intake/acc won;t fit, you need to convert to another group that fits like the Fbody. So if they intake goes, so does the fuel rail, injectors, etc. I believe the water pump doesn't fit with either an LS1 or LS6 intake. But you need to get rid of the pump anyway for the acc swap over. I don't think a lot of it is convertible (with different pulleys, for example). I priced one out with all the conversion stuff needed to convert the engine to an LSx clone and it didn't wind up cheaper than a swap package (all acc, engine, trans, harness, etc). That is why I went for an LS1 instead of a 5.3l or 6.0l. Once again, LS1tech in the conversions section has been very helpful for all of this. It is very doable.

The 5.3 or 6.0 are a great choice!I'm I the middle of a 6.0 install in my 71.
the motor will fit with a few mods.If you have a cowl type hood you can even run the truck intake and water pump,alt,.I have both intakes,car and truck.As greg75vette said the car intake must have the car water pump and brackets.Mine will have twin turbos eventually.I also have C-4 suspension.It makes for a little more room in a few spots.
install011.jpg
install010.jpg

Last edited:
The car intake is the way to go.The truck intake will take alot of room.
intake009.jpg

intake008.jpg

intake003.jpg

The car intake is the way to go.The truck intake will take alot of room.
OMG the truck intake is HUGE . I just ordered an LQ9 for my '65. The Escalade 6.0L with slightly higher compression. I hope to retain the truck intake, I do have a stinger style hood. It is better in the low rpm range where I do most of my driving. I'm keeping my Muncie and will have to modify my Hooker side exhaust..

I also read this weekend in one of the mags if you do a head swap from another LS motor (will have to look at it again) along with a cam swap you can get some really good numbers from the engine.

I have priced a LS motor and I am looking at 3K for motor and all all the harness and BCM to go with it. I can buy the 6L for under 1K complete. I figured this would be a cheaper route in the long run. maybe I better look into all the little things that might add up before I make a decision.

I also have the chance to use the old block and stroke it to 383 and SC it with a D1 that I have access to. Just not sure if this is the best solution to a dependable driver with good HP numbers.

I would still look around. Honestly, your best bet for parts is a salvage shop that does NOT have a website (with either direction you decide). Chances are if they are savvy with the internet, they'll charge the going rate for ebay prices (not that a good deal can't be found on ebay, just a lot harder these days). I wound up calling about 30 local salvage yards I found in a google search. One had a lead to a salvage yard in jersey and I got a complete drop out LS1/T56 for $3500 complete with shifter, stock cooling fans, all sensors (including rear O2's), clutch master cylinder, reservoir and lines and the body harness. The mileage was a little high for my tastes (83K), but she still has plenty of life in her. I have an excel workbook that I'm using to watch my budget and in one of the tabs is what I used for pricing out a 5.3l with all of the engine conversion (to go from truck acc/intake to car acc/intake) stuff listed out. I may have forgotten a thing or two, but the prices reflected what I was seeing, plus about 5 to 10% for an overshoot and wiggle room. You are more than welcome to it if you shoot me an email. g doelger at hot mail dot com. Also feel free to shoot some feedback or you see an error or something. If there is something you don't understand let me know too. I tend to be cryptic in my thoughts.

Keep in mind, for me, I wanted to keep the stock hood and overall stock appearance outside. I knew the truck intake wouldn't work. She really is a monster.

Also, here is a thread that might help you. He discusses the cost benefits to going 5.3 (or truck 6.0) over an LS1. I used a lot of his prices in my estimates (plus the 5 to 10%).

I had no idea so many people were considering/in the process of LSx swaps. Good deal :)

The heads on the 6.0 flow pretty good also.I have a comp cams XR281HR.
I will need to change to 26918 springs.It should be pretty healthy before the turbo's.I have a long way to go on it,but it should be worth it.
I still have some extra stuff left over from changing directions that I'll sell cheap to recoupe some funds.(I changed to cable style throttle.)DBW pcm,(will need reprogrammed)pedals,harness,(someone started cleaning it up.)I'm not sure what else I'll keep or sell yet,but if I don't need it and someone does I'll make them a better deal than I got.

Last edited:
Has anybody had any experoence with the 6.0L motor? I have been looking at a engine swap this winter and it looks like the 6L is a good cheap option and can get some good HP numbers with 1/2 the cost of a LS motor.

Which car are planning on sticking this thing in?

It is going in the Vette!

Cool! Post some pictures down the road.

Cool! Post some pictures down the road.

OH dont worry, there will be a ton of pics to come!

Replacing the entire interior with the newer (91) interior. I am having a cluster made right now that will look somewhat stock with Auto Meter gauges. Going to have the full cage installed in the car with still keeping all interior (like the challenge cars).

Next will be the fuel tank change. Going to have one built for stock location with new pump design and baffles.

Last will be engine and trans swap along with so go fast goodies on the new motor.