Inspecting Rear Wheel Bearings

pcf_mark

I have worked on the rear wheel bearings of these cars a few times but it has been years. I am working on a car now that has a lot if movement/rock if I grab the rear wheel by the bottom and the top and try to rock it. Like checking a ball joint in the front. I thought wheel bearings but when I grab the wheel on the left and right side (looking at the car from the side) there is no rock. If the bearings are bad shouldn't it be bad/sloppy in all directions? Can someone verify this?

I think the strut rod bushings are shot. Maybe the t-arm bushing too. I also tried to pry the inner stub axle in and out of the rear itself and that is solid.

9-3 no movement, bearings SHOULD be happy, best listen to them when engine is running....stethescope or tube to ear...

sounds like 1/2 shaft into the diffy play on that output yoke, OR it's a hell of a lift to make the bottom strut bushings show play.... do that with a lever, like looking for ball joint play in a front end.......:shocking:

best listen to them when engine is running....stethescope or tube to ear...
Please explain this technique:suicide:jk

Most of the cheep parts houses have what looks like a Doctor's stethoscope but on the end is a long probe you set on the object you listen to....

you hear nice smooth running.....a bearing sounds like it would when spun in your hand, nice and smooth, sounds like ice skates on a skating ring...NO grinding and unhappy sounds....

injectors you hear a nice clean click, valve covers you can find the bad/noisey valve quickly....loud as shit on the cover just above it....

if not, just use a piece of hose up to one ear...fuel line hose is good....

OR on the steth, pull the probe end and use as a hose...with both ears fed off the Y joint and therefore no background noise, you can use the hose end or a extended version of it to find a header leak, sounds like a valve tick??

but gotta remember to use the scope with caution, too much vacuum lookin for a leak, or a severe pressure point will ruin your hearing.....

obviously......

:D:friends::bestwishes:

I really did understand your technique. I use a 1/2" stick with a rubber end cap for my steth. I was curious how you checked rear wheel bearings "while the engine was running" and why?:confused: I do remember laying under/behind my solid axle GTO's and Firebirds with it idling, in drive and up on jackstands to check for bad rear wheel bearings. I still can't believe I did that

Last edited:
I really did understand your technique. I use a 1/2" stick with a rubber end cap for my steth. I was curious how you checked rear wheel bearings "while the engine was running" and why?:confused: I do remember laying under/behind my solid axle GTO's and Firebirds with it idling, in drive and up on jackstands to check for bad rear wheel bearings. I still can't believe I did that

?? why? no other way to check for bad bearings....is there?? long as the stands are solid, that is....and don't get hit by spinning tires...:tth::gurney:

sounds like side yoke endplay.

I thought that too but when I try to pry between the housing and yoke it does not move outward. I may not be able to exert enough force to move the axle and the suspension/wheel/tire outward. If I take the half shaft off I bet your right.

sounds like side yoke endplay.

I thought that too but when I try to pry between the housing and yoke it does not move outward. I may not be able to exert enough force to move the axle and the suspension/wheel/tire outward. If I take the half shaft off I bet your right.

When supported by the diffy center, and wheels flopped, I think they are already out far as possible, riding on the clips...so it's INWARD you would be pushing the 1/2 shaft with your 12-6 postion on the tire....

Am I understanding this correctly? We are discussing checking wheel bearings with the rear of the car on stands, with the engine running, and in gear. All I am going to say is remember to make sure you support the car by the trailing arms, so you don't damage the half shafts.

Am I understanding this correctly? We are discussing checking wheel bearings with the rear of the car on stands, with the engine running, and in gear. All I am going to say is remember to make sure you support the car by the trailing arms, so you don't damage the half shafts.

:shocking::gurney: I messed up, should have said that also....YMMV on the stands and position with tires in place on that, I can sneak my cheepies in there to do the job, but it's close....far easier without the tires on, snug down the rotors, should give a good indication still...

:beer: