Grease gun

pcf_mark

Can anyone recommend a grease gun that is not a piece of snot like the China one I just had blow grease all over me? Thanks!

Lot of grease fittings to do on the overhauled front end!

I know exactly what you mean. Trying to grease the lower ball joint on a C4 is what got me started! I bought one of those grease guns with a pistol grip handle (not the long lever) and I put a flex hose and coupling on it. That lets you hold the coupling in line with one hand and operate the pump with the other.

Not 100% reliable but close.

I have 6 grease guns, 2 of them are air powered and none are cheap but they all suck, the hand operated ones are better than the air powered ones but clumsy in tight spaces. My biggest problem with them is they don't seal worth a crap on the grease zerks so it immediately becomes a 2 man operation where one has to push the nozzle on the zerk to get grease in the joint and not only on the outside, the air powered ones I have are great for when you're in a grease gun war, they shoot far and straight but when they have to get grease in with some force fuggetaboutem

Once you get dirt inside the gun nozzle the chances of a good seal around the zerk are not good. Start out with a clean nozzle and clean zerks.

I have the pistol grip type and it works great - for about four pumps. Or about 1/3 what you need for a new ball joint! It is still half full but refuses to pump any more grease until I reload it.

I love Snap On - but the price is crazy!

Does Craftsmen make a decent model?

If my pistol grip Lincoln ever lets me down I will buy one of their battery powered models. I used one on a buddy's farm and don't know if he could go without it if something happened to it. It will spoil you.

All the air powered guns I have used were shit too.

Thanks for the tips. I did make the pistol grip model work last night by packing the grease into the head where the pump was with a putty knife. Then I packed the cylinder with grease and compressed it with a socket on a 1/2" extention. Once it was free of air and "primed" it worked pretty good.

Thanks for the tips. I did make the pistol grip model work last night by packing the grease into the head where the pump was with a putty knife. Then I packed the cylinder with grease and compressed it with a socket on a 1/2" extention. Once it was free of air and "primed" it worked pretty good.
Most guns have a bleeder at the top to get rid of the air. I usually just leave the cylinder unscrewed a turn and then cock the gun and let the air go out the threads. That little pump doesn't pump air very well.